Sign in to follow this  

Steel Oil Pump Gears (Availability) USA

Ok, its the middle of winter and many of us like to perform maintenance on our Beta's at this time of the year. 

Yet when it comes to installing new plastic gears many of us want to eliminate the need to replace them on a 100 hour basis and install the newer steel gears now available by Beta.Boana in Europe. 

Ok for this simple minded individual for years I've read that this company Beta.Boana kinda the backdoor into the Beta factory, maybe yes, maybe no? They have been offering the availability of these new steel gears, and shipping them out. P/N 031460288200

Ok Europe has 'em, yet the 100's if not 1000's of the 2010-2014 Beta 4-strokes sold in North America by Beta USA, and they have these back ordered. Am I the only one that has an issue with this?

Many parts in all engines wear out and need to be replaced on a regular basis, but these plastic gears that are supposedly inspected at 90, 120 and replaced at 180 hours. This in my simple mind is a "fuzzy" statement. The word "inspect" is indeed used in a broad sense. Possibly use radiography and visual may be the only ways to determine their remaining life may be the only true ways of performing a proper inspection as by time they start to chunk or shred or blow apart its all over or damn close to it.

But in the USA, Beta owners are finding them exploded or starting to fail at the 120-160 hour range, and some have had them fail in the 300 hour range, so there is no consistent time value to go by, unless we all open our motors at 90 hours and toss 'em, period. And if Beta knew this why did they not say replace at 90 hours

Somehow in my simple mind this spells a design failure on the part of Beta for their 2010-2014 vintage 4-stroke motors.

Ok, please everyone do not get me wrong, there are thousands of fantastic attributes about my 2014 Beta, that I would not trade for the latest and greatest KTM or Husky. But can Beta-USA get their crap together and offer the 100's or 1000's of us that bought into their 4-strokes and supply us with a reliable set of oil pump gears.

As the plastic-fantastic gears are not on my wish-list....

• Like 3

BETA BASHER !  

BAN HIM!

Hey, it's a wear item.

You are supposed to put new Plastic Gears in at 90 hours.

The Metal gears are not 'standard', so it would not be normal for BETA USA to 'stock' them, unless they can get the deal and service they need to make it worth their while.

Not every aftermarket company is easy, or profitable, to deal with (EG: IMS tanks...)

Just order them from Get Dirty Bikes or Bonomo like you would any other part.

• Like 1

Hey, it's a wear item.

Just order them from Get Dirty Bikes 

I tried to last month but Dave @ Get Dirty said he doesn't (and won't) stock them any longer.  My bike's at 80 hours and I'm wondering where to get replacements...

I tried to last month but Dave @ Get Dirty said he doesn't (and won't) stock them any longer. My bike's at 80 hours and I'm wondering where to get replacements...

Try Brown's Beta in Paso Robles, CA.

They're in the same town as the Beta warehouse.

(805) 238-1240

I tried to last month but Dave @ Get Dirty said he doesn't (and won't) stock them any longer.  My bike's at 80 hours and I'm wondering where to get replacements...

They were on his website last week....

Try Mike at Dirt Riders West, another large BETA dealer.

You referenced 2010-2014 bikes a couple times. Are the 15's different?

Just replace them at 90 hrs its a simple job and they are cheap problem solved. I don't see this as a big deal its just a wear item. 

MM 

• Like 2

Just replace them at 90 hrs its a simple job and they are cheap problem solved. I don't see this as a big deal its just a wear item. 

MM 

No, you are right it is no big deal at all and if the steel gears were not available anywhere then I would have no bitch.

But since Europe has 'em why can't the almighty USA not have them?

I quietly have to say the Beta-USA has dropped the ball with this one.

Ok, forget it case closed, I got back on my Meds.... 😛

• Like 3

MM

It's kind of a big deal when the rekluse clutch basket was so tight that we had to heat up and use some persuasion to get it seated. I dread trying to get it off.

• Like 3

It's kind of a big deal when the rekluse clutch basket was so tight that we had to heat up and use some persuasion to get it seated. I dread trying to get it off.

Mine was a real bitch to get off. I ended up using a puller. Betas center clutch torque specs are insane. A few guys argued my reasoning for not torquing the nut to 150nm (Beta has since changed the spec to 120nm /91lb ft). I went with 100nm which is still really tight IMO.

100_0610_zps794d1c64.jpg

100_0608_zps88ea2387.jpg

No, you are right it is no big deal at all and if the steel gears were not available anywhere then I would have no bitch.

It frustrated Dave as well. He ordered a set of steel gears for me. The package was even marked 2010-2014. Unfortunately they are for 2015 and up (2014 and up 350RR).

BTW, Dave still has these oil pump gears in stock at a really good price!!

http://shop.getdirtydirtbikes.com/Steel-oil-pump-gear-kit-AB-12115.htm

It frustrated Dave as well. He ordered a set of steel gears for me. The package was even marked 2010-2014. Unfortunately they are for 2015 and up (2014 and up 350RR).

I'm pretty sure I'll have to use a puller also. Thanks for posting the pic. I wasn't sure if the rekluse basket had threaded holes to mount puller or if I'd have to use the hooks. Have you tried to order the Boano gear set ?

http://www.beta.boano.com/index.asp?cat=11&sottocat=6

Also, there's a shop in Nevada that says they can get Boano parts.

http://www.motosupply.com/index.php

Edited by randysoo

I'm pretty sure I'll have to use a puller also. Thanks for posting the pic. I wasn't sure if the rekluse basket had threaded holes to mount puller or if I'd have to use the hooks. Have you tried to order the Boano gear set ?

http://www.beta.boano.com/index.asp?cat=11&sottocat=6

Also, there's a shop in Nevada that says they can get Boano parts.

http://www.motosupply.com/index.php

Thanks, yeah I know about them. I'll most likely order directly from Boano, since Beta-USA does not care about stocking them  :banghead:

• Like 2

I'm with you Mark, I think BetaUSA is dropping the ball here! I think that they need to look at To their Australian brothers.

• Like 1