Sign in to follow this  

fried/burnt clutch, broken plates, sludge. &%$#@!?

Hey guys. not sure how this happened, have a few ideas though.

I put studded tires on and went for a ride.  half ways through some tight single track I could heat metal rattling/grinding when I let the clutch lever out.

we stopped for a break, and when I went to take off, I had no clutch/power. letting it cool screwed me. I  let the clutch lever out, and the bike just sat there and revved.  my clutch was gone.

I pushed the bike forwards and revved it a bit and somehow got a little power, tried to climb a steep hill, made it 3/4 ways up then my clutch died again. 4 guys pushed the bike to the top, and the clutch cover was VERY VERY hot.  we threw snow on it and let it cool for half hour, and bent my magura hydraulic clutch mount so the clutch would disengage more. I think the bending of the mount helped.  I was able to limp it back to the truck.

took the clutch apart and not much oil came out at all. why?   the oil STUNK. plates were black/burnt, and 2 plates closest to the engine were broke in the same spot.  that explains the rattling metal I heard half way through the ride.

my pressure plate and inner hub smell like pipe resin... sticky, thick, black resin all over everything.

im thinking its this damn magura hydraulic clutch causing me problems. I just cant seem to get it adjusted/figure out properly.  I think its time to go back to a cable clutch and throw this $300 paperweight away. it worked fine for a few years I guess.

either ive got a slow leak (doesnt look like it) or my magura clutch is causing the plates to slip. I had great power, a solid neutral when I pulled in the clutch. everything felt and ran great.

my barnett clutch basket is NOT notched.  the inner hub is 1% notched, very very very small notches, almost insignificant. can barely feel them with your finger.

what do you guys figure about the pressure plate?  I installed new barnett clutch plates and took it for a ride.  magura clutch feels a little weird still, but bike runs great.

1zqeo1j.png

vhxffd.png

23saib9.png

29f2qma.png

I'd say the frictions broke, which then caused the rest of the plates to slip, heat up and burn. Lack of transmission oil may have sped things up.

yeah plates definitely broke first.  bike ran fine until we stopped for a break.  it cooled and went downhill quick.

what would cause them to break though?  basket isnt notched, and inner hub isnt either.

people said it might be the extra perfect traction with the studded tires, but my traction wasnt perfect. there was lots of tire spinning so im not too sure.

lets assume my bike isnt leaking.. and my engine side didnt have extra (which it didnt)  where would all my oil go?  almost seemed like it evaporated...  it turned to a thick sludge, but not everything was coated as you can see with the pictures.

definitely weird.  pretty scary being stuck in the snowy back country single track on a bike with no clutch.

What year bike is this?  did you take the whole cover off or just the clutch cover?

My guess would be still sludge in that side of the case that didn't drain out.  You can think of it like cooking, when you reduce something down, even while covered if you cook it long enough it will disappear to pretty much nothing, whats left just gets caked on the bottom of the pan.

its an 05.  took off just the clutch cover.  the rest really didnt seem that dirty. I guess I didnt look in the bottom though.  there was def a lot of clutch dust paste on the clutch basket fingers.

I filled it, took it for a 2-3 min ride, and parked it last night.

maybe ill do the same today, another short ride, then change the clutch oil.

just kind of weird that it "evaporated"  in a basically air tight space.