Sign in to follow this  

Looking for a used 2-stroker. Which one?

This might be better asked elsewhere but I trust the 450X community here  :ride:  as straight shooters with honest and valid opinions.

I'm thinking about giving a 250 2-smoker a try. I'm looking to buy something used and fairly cheap, I figure it will be older, probably in the 2000 to 2010 year range. I'll be riding tight wooded trails mostly.

My questions are:

1) are there any particular brand/year models to avoid?

2) any specific brand/year model that is particularly good? 

TIA, Phil

Buy my 99 RM250

LOL! That's a nice lookin bike! Plated too?

If you were closer we might talk about it.

Edited by Phil_RC_1

a yamaha yz 250 set up for woods is a great cheap bike... lots of them around...

Yeah, I see a lot of them for sale around here. Just wondering if there were any years to avoid, or maybe specific makes or years that might have that special handling or motor or known problems.

If you care about the suspension quality, you should look at the lastest model (2006 or later) RM, or YZ. 

They have real CC forks with speed sensitivity.

There you go.. take it from him... always give good sound advise... i just know what i see and seems up here ( Canada west coast) lots of them around and people are happy with them... most i see on the nasty stuff have an auto clutch but that just drives up the price 

Thanx guys. That's the kinda info I am looking for. I knew the YZ had updated the frame in 06, didn't realize he suspension was upgraded in 06. Still not sure if the frame was an actual improvement 🙄 (some times the factory DOES get it wrong.) But If the suspension was upgraded too, I can narrow my search to 06 or newer.

Any more suggestions/experience?

Thanx again

Edited by Phil_RC_1

02 to 07 Honda cr250 handle really good. Will need motor setup but nothing extreme.

Depends what you ride. Slow tight trails? Moderately fast flowing trails or tracks only?

IF you you stick with Honda! There are two years highly recommended. 2000-2001.

I had one before moving to a 4 stroke.

Honda moved to case reeds after 2001..not good.

Be warned these bikes are like a light switch after proper jetting. If you dont want to be ejected, get a flywheel weight and a throttle tamer!

• Like 1

If you're doing single track, get a KTM300 or even 200. If you're doing a huge mix, some of which includes tracks, get an RM/YZ/CRF. The 2008 RM was the last year it was produced and are highly sought after. YZs have always ben great bikes since the mid 90s, up. CRs have had ups and downs, but I haven't heard anything bad about the newer ones. No matter what you get (unless it's a KTM or Husky), it'll need a flywheel weight, and probably geared to your liking.

Thanx guys. That's the kinda info I am looking for. I knew the YZ had updated the frame in 06, didn't realize he suspension was upgraded in 06. Still not sure if the frame was an actual improvement 🙄 (some times the factory DOES get it wrong.) But If the suspension was upgraded too, I can narrow my search to 06 or newer.

Any more suggestions/experience?

Thanx again

The frame was actually updated in '05, - but the highly regarded SSS forks came equipped from '06 and up  --- however, the previous forks can be made to work quite well

I had a '99 ---  '99 is the first year for the engine that is still in use today --  there were mild changes which to me were mostly cosmetic in '02 .  

I spent some time on a friend's woods modified '03 and another '09 - then rode them back to back with my '99 and i thought --

Meh -- i'm glad i rode both of the newer ones, because i was wanting an aluminum frame bike until then just to have something more current

So i saved a ton of cash and rewarded my 99 with a new slug and some tires instead

Now -- i am not advocating looking for a 15 or more year old bike specifically ---  I'm just saying if one comes along that has actually been maintained or is low time and you can get it for a song,  - it might not be a bad way to go either,  although normally i'd say get the newest and cleanest bike you can afford

My pic from the sale ad i placed for it --- the guy who bought it got a decent deal 

083.jpg

Now -- i am not advocating looking for a 15 or more year old bike specifically ---  I'm just saying if one comes along that has actually been maintained or is low time and you can get it for a song,  - it might not be a bad way to go either,  

I picked up a very lightly used 99 KX250 in Sept 2014. It had no title so I got it cheap. Been a really great bike. Went from a 2014 Husky to the 1999 Kawasaki and do not regret it. Like the extra cash in the bank and way less concern about it getting ripped off or damaged. 

One example of having a low hour old bike as an advantage was last weekend where riding partner decided to try and forge a swamp on his newer KTM. He found a hole near the shore and began to submerge quickly. I turned off my gas and just let my bike drop on the trail without any concern. I ran to the shore and helped him avoid the drowning of the bike and pulled it out of the water for him since he was partially pinned beneath it. :banana:

Edited by shrubitup

Surprised not many suggesting KX's. I've always been a Honda fan but in this case, it looks like the YZ might have the upper hand. But it will all boil down to what I find locally for sale between now and April (or so).

And Thanx again guys. Keep it coming.

Surprised not many suggesting KX's. I've always been a Honda fan but in this case, it looks like the YZ might have the upper hand. But it will all boil down to what I find locally for sale between now and April (or so).

And Thanx again guys. Keep it coming.

Honestly, any 250 smoker is a great bike. Highly malleable and adaptable to what you're looking for. Each have unique traits that will/will not work best for you. Buy based on condition/price vs. I must have abc bike. 

I've had several of each and just prefer the KX at this point due to the versatility of the motor and EASY EASY EASY well synchronized starting. Many say all 250s start easily. They're lying. 

• Like 1

Surprised not many suggesting KX's.------------, it looks like the YZ might have the upper hand. 

Shrub has good luck with his KX's evidently -- my experience is not as good.    Suzuki and Kawi both to me make excellent single season race bikes but the years i had either i went through a litany of broken frames, cracked engine cases,  cracks on triple clamps from poor castings, bearings that would squeal after a couple of races and fasteners that would round out by looking at them wrong 

Granted , this was early 90's and the first generation Kawi perimeter frames  - i rode Pro/Am motocross and was lobbying for a Team Green ride so rode KX's for a season then switched to Suzi's due to their awesome contingency program and attractive lease arrangements through my local dealer for race bikes --- but i trashed so many RM's in one year it wasnt funny - literally 6 bikes.  

A prior year on Hondas i went through 2 , and they were both good for re-sale afterwards with frame replacements (You could chopper out any steel frame back then if you rode it hard enough)

The YZ i pictured above i got long after my racing days were for the most part over , -- a couple of years later   i bought a brand new '04 KX500 as well.

I put roughly the same amount of hours on both bikes but by the time i was done with the big Kwacker and moved it to a new home,  there wasnt much original on it -- had to replace the frame and subframe due to cracks, stripped fasteners , etc.  gas tank developed a crack in the seam,  the stock rims  didnt last 10 rides- replaced one engine case due to a crack .  Evem broke a rear brake caliper carrier mid moto once and that was a new one on me

I only seriously rode it maybe a year  --   I kept it a long time, but in reality i only kept it because it was  a KX500 ,  - one of the last true beasts and a conversation starter anywhere i went   --  

But the YZ?   I cant explain it, -- they just seem to spec better metallurgy in general - quality Excel rims- decent fasteners, --  It was the closest thing to a   "ride it-- wash it - add gas - ride some more "   bike i have ever had.   13 years of good times

Dang -- talking about my YZ makes me want another one 

I know i am talking about KAwi's and Suzuki's from 25 years ago almost (dang i feel old some days) -- but a couple of years back i was asking the mechanic who does some periodic suspension work for me if the Suzi's and Kawi's were any better regarding some of the issues they had decades ago  ,  as his son was racing  RMZ's in Arenacross.    He slowly shook his head and ran down a similar laundry list of random stuff they seem to break , and told me i was wise to have switched over to Honda or YAmaha if i wanted to keep a bike for 5 years 

Flip side - my brother has a Kawi and races it maybe 6x a year and hits an open practice session every couple of weeks -- typical vet rider activity - He is also a garage monkey in the maintenance department  ----  he's had his bike a couple years now with no real problems outside of normal wear and tear parts 

Geez-- sorry that got so wordy --- i write insurance reports as part of my day job, so the words occasionally flow like diarrhea .    

Edited by DMC707
  • Like 2

Nice report DMC 707, I've never race bike so I don't push them to the edge unlike you. I don't doubt that the Honda or Yamaha hold together better after seasons of racing. Its been a long known or at least rumored topic.

Edited by shrubitup