Sign in to follow this  

Yet Another 230 jetting question

Of course this would not be a problem if honda would give us a jetting guide like many other bike manufactures

Bike is unkorked

air box snorkel take out and muffle baffle taken out

Nothing else

Cold weather jetting

40 degrees F

5500 feet

So far i tried putting my Moab jetting in. 

which is a 118/48

bike has the 03 power up needle in it that everyone on here recommends. at least i think its 03

The moab jetting i figured would be a good start. Given that although I'm at my denver altitude given the colder temps the little bit richer settings would work ok.

The bike seems to run ok at moment

Just for the fun of it i also tried a 115/50 to keep the bottom end rich

However typical 230 fashion

If the bike is idling and from a dead idle you sack the throttle wide open it dies

Any ideas or suggestions for the given conditions

For 40 degrees F at 5,500 feet I recommend a 45 pilot and 118 main with needle clip at #4.

Whacking the throttle wide open from idle is an absolutely meaningless test and has no value.

Edited by VortecCPI
  • Like 1

For 40 degrees F at 5,500 feet I recommend a 45 pilot and 118 main with needle clip at #4.

Whacking the throttle wide open from idle is an absolutely meaningless test and has no value.

We can go around and around on this. Needle in the 4th position is too rich at this altitude. Your best performance is on the 3rd clip. I live at this elevation.

We can go around and around on this. Needle in the 4th position is too rich at this altitude. Your best performance is on the 3rd clip. I live at this elevation.

I agree at 70 degrees F and above it will be too rich but the Honda manual is 100% clear about when to move the clip and 40 degrees F at 5,500 feet means no change.  You only raise the clip if the factor is 0.95 or below.  The factor for 40F at 5,500 ft is 0.986.  The factor for >73F at 5,500 ft is <0.950.  In my book 40 degrees F is darn cold and requires more fuel for the denser air.  The difference between 40F and 70F is 30 degrees and that is a lot.  In the old days a snowmobile running at 30F and then at 0F required quite a twist in the Tillotson main screw to keep it from leaning out.

According to Honda (see attachment below):

"If the correction factor is 0.95, or below, raise the jet needle clip by one clip position.  If the correction factor is above 0.95, adjustments to the jet needle and pilot screw are not necessary"

Using the chart, or in my case actual calculations, you will find:

For 75 deg. F at 5,500 feet:

Correction Factor for 75 deg. F = 0.994

Correction Factor for 5,500 feet = 0.954

Therefore Correction Factor for 75 deg. F at 5,500 feet = 0.994 * 0.954 = 0.949 (clip should be raised)

For 40 deg. F at 5,500 feet:

Correction Factor for 40 deg. F = 1.033

Correction Factor for 5,500 feet = 0.954

Therefore Correction Factor for 40 deg. F at 5,500 feet = 1.033 * 0.954 = 0.986 (no change required)

If you don't agree with Honda's recommendation that is fine with me.  I am simply following the rules clearly written in Honda's own book.  Mike Coe also said clip position #4 was good up to 6,500+ feet for him.

"This is what I recommend for your bike and all others with stock engine with exhaust baffle and airbox snorkel removed. I ride my stock bike from 0 - 6500+ elevation with no changes in jetting between the desert and mountains.

120 main jet (used to be 132)

45 pilot jet

Stock needle with clip in fourth groove from the top

Accessory needle with clip in fourth groove from the top."

I am in no way saying "you are wrong".  I am simply providing sources for my recommendation.  I take the giving of advice very seriously.

TempAltChart.jpg

Edited by VortecCPI

i'd start from 45 + 3rd clip + 125

i did my own testing and i believe that power up needle needs a main jet slighty larger than the one working fine with 03-05 stock needle

i'd start from 45 + 3rd clip + 125

i did my own testing and i believe that power up needle needs a main jet slighty larger than the one working fine with 03-05 stock needle

125?

Wow is all I Gota say

The bike had a 98 in from the dealer

I just bought an '05 CRF230F, exhaust baffle removed and air box snorkel removed.

Its not idling/running right.  I live in Colorado (5k feet) and my main jet = 128 and pilot = 42s.  I'll pull the needle and see if its stock or power up,and what position the clip is in.

Anyone have a good source for a jet kit, or is it best to buy ebay jets one at a time?  Thanks for the suggestions here, I intend to rejet.

Edited by ram

+1 agreed. Set/adjust carb float level, adjust engine valves with a cold engine

A new properly gapped NGK spark plug is another big plus.

And the best source for Honda 230f parts is Genuine OEM Honda Parts

Still another:

Your jetting guide can be found here, right on TT :-)

Edited by adnohguy