Sign in to follow this  

Washington SB6373 – increased fees

Senate Bill SB6373 was introduced today by Senator Curtis King.

It would raise a number of vehicle licensing filing fees.  They include raising the filing fee for tabs from $3 to $4.50, the filing fee for titles from $4 to $5.50.  the agency fee for title transfer from $12 to $18 and the agency fee for tabs from $5 to $9.

The end result for renewing your tabs would be an additional $5.50 for a total of $13.50 in fees.

The impact for purchasers of ORV permits pushes the situation into the level of absurd.

Here is how it would break down:

Total ORV permit price $31.50

Minus fees of $13.50

Minus 20% administrative cut going to the Department of Licensing $3.60

What’s left to go to the ORV account is $14.40

$14.40 is less than half of the $31.50 that would come out of your wallet.

Please go to the bill website following this link add let them know what you think about these proposed increased fees.

http://app.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=6373&year=2015

• Like 1

Thanks Tod.

If you have an rv, couple of bikes and a utility trailer the occasional (highly unlikely) ticket

is much cheaper than buying all those tags.

• Like 5

This is what I sent our legislators:

"The reason the Washington State ORV Tabs exist is that in 1974 ORV owners asked our legislators to tax our recreational activity and use the funds to develop and maintain an ORV trail system. The result was a very good ORV trail system.

In later years our legislators stabbed ORV users in the back by taking a lions share of ORV money and spending it on government activities that have nothing to do with ORV's.  In addition to this insult, a major ORV use area was completely shut down and through an incredible waste of ORV funds replaced with a short, non-challenging trail that gets very little use.

Now SB 6373 intends to charge ORV owners still higher fees which again will not benefit ORV users.  The funds will be spent  to meet other non ORV related government expenses.

Do our legislators enjoy twisting the knife they used to stab us in the back?"

• Like 9

So what's the status of orv funds? Last I know of they took them. Did they ever release them for orv systems or simply keep them? I haven't bought orv tabs since they stole our money.

• Like 1

So what's the status of orv funds? Last I know of they took them. Did they ever release them for orv systems or simply keep them? I haven't bought orv tabs since they stole our money.

The ORV funds have not been misappropriated since 2009.

• Like 1

How about they get rid of the ferry charges they slid in for the private contractors to make them feel better.

How about they get rid of the ferry charges they slid in for the private contractors to make them feel better.

Stinky stuff there too, but I have to stay narrowly focused on pro-ORV issues.

We don't carry a big enough stick in Olympia to expand the scope of our efforts at this time.

Thanks, I left my comment.  They keep raising fees - yet we keep spending more and more volunteer time up there maintaining trails....  rewarding us for good behavior/??

• Like 1

If you think that jacking your ORV tab renewal fees by $5.50 and getting nothing more in return stinks, let the members of the Senate Transportation Committee know.

Their email addys:

Curtis.King@leg.wa.gov

Don.Benton@leg.wa.gov

Joe.Fain@leg.wa.gov

Steve.Hobbs@leg.wa.gov

Marco.Liias@leg.wa.gov

Michael.Baumgartner@leg.wa.gov

Reuven.Carlyle@leg.wa.gov

Annette.Cleveland@leg.wa.gov

Doug.Ericksen@leg.wa.gov

Pramila.Jayapal@leg.wa.gov

Steve.Litzow@leg.wa.gov

Mark.Miloscia@leg.wa.gov

Ann.Rivers@leg.wa.gov

Timothy.Sheldon@leg.wa.gov

Dean.Takko@leg.wa.gov

• Like 1

I sent the following to all of the above leislatures:

Raising the fee by $5.50 without any increase in the amount of money to fund the original intent of the OHV tab fees represents a decrease in the money we agreed to in support of the original ORV tab.  The new fee would reduce funding to infrastructure to less than 50%.
I have three ORV motorcycles and with this fee increase  I’m faced with the prospect of not buying ORV tabs for two of my ORVs. Do the math.

• Like 2

Senate Bill SB6373 was introduced today by Senator Curtis King.

It would raise a number of vehicle licensing filing fees.  They include raising the filing fee for tabs from $3 to $4.50, the filing fee for titles from $4 to $5.50.  the agency fee for title transfer from $12 to $18 and the agency fee for tabs from $5 to $9.

The end result for renewing your tabs would be an additional $5.50 for a total of $13.50 in fees.

The impact for purchasers of ORV permits pushes the situation into the level of absurd.

Here is how it would break down:

Total ORV permit price $31.50

Minus fees of $13.50

Minus 20% administrative cut going to the Department of Licensing $3.60

What’s left to go to the ORV account is $14.40

$14.40 is less than half of the $31.50 that would come out of your wallet.

Please go to the bill website following this link add let them know what you think about these proposed increased fees.

http://app.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=6373&year=2015

I don't have a current renewal payment breakdown available. What are the current (2015) fees, and how are the fees disbursed? I'm looking for a year-to-year comparison for my email to these (and my) legislators.

I don't have a current renewal payment breakdown available. What are the current (2015) fees, and how are the fees disbursed? I'm looking for a year-to-year comparison for my email to these (and my) legislators.

Total ORV permit price if SB6373 passed as is $31.50

Minus fees of $13.50

Minus 18% administrative cut going to the Department of Licensing $3.24

What’s left to go to the ORV account is $14.76

Current total price $26.00

Minus fees of $8.00

NOTE: In my previous post I incorrectly listed the DoL administrative cut at 20 percent.

I've made before and after pie charts.

PM me with your email address and I send them to you

(I can't get the attachment function to work on this forum)

• Like 1

Total ORV permit price if SB6373 passed as is $31.50

Minus fees of $13.50

Current total price $26.00

Minus fees of $8.00

NOTE: In my previous post I incorrectly listed the DoL administrative cut at 20 percent.

I've made before and after pie charts.

PM me with your email address and I send them to you

(I can't get the attachment function to work on this forum)

Thanks very much, Tod. I looked at the bill, and it appears that $2 of the fees already go to the ferry system (capital vessel replacement account), plus the complicated 50 cent disbursement to other counties. So just the fees change, not the fund allocation/disbursement. As well as the complicated allocation based on who collects the fees. My hat's off to you for understanding and following the paper trail/breadcrumbs to find the final resting place of our funds. Kudos.

PM on its way.

• Like 1