Sign in to follow this  

Threadlocker for Transmission Bearing Retainer Screws

Hello, I am currently rebuilding the bottom end on my 2001 yz125 and I just put new transmission bearings in it.

I am now replacing the retaining plates, and in my Clymer manual it says to use Threebond 1360 threadlocker.

I researched this threadlocker and I found that it is high temperature(I think 450 Fahrenheit), and medium strength(29 n/m for iron m10).

However, neither Autozone nor O'reilly autoparts(which are the only autoparts stores near me) carry this.

So I wondered if I really needed it. I looked in my brother's 2001 rm125 oem manual and it says nothing about threadlocker for these bolts.

I have regular blue Loctite which has a max temp of 300 Fahrenheit and a breaking torque of about 17 n/m, should I just use this?

Do I need Loctite at all? I want to hurry up and get it all back together, but I don't want to be worried about the bolts falling out.

Thanks,

Tom

Blue Loctite 242 is medium strength,

idealy you should use Loctite 243, which is similar to 242 but has better oil resistance.

High temperature resistance isn't an issue in a 2-stroke's gearbox.

link to 243: http://www.loctite.co.uk/loctite-4087.htm?nodeid=8802623520769

If you are in a hurry (never good when rebuilding an engine!...) in a pinch you could use 'regular' 242

but making sure the bolt and threads are thoroughly cleaned of any oily residue (w/brake cleaner) before assembly

also allowing the Loctite to dry a few hours before re-filling the gearbox with oil.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

No issues with standard medium. All threads come out dry with no oil inside. Of course I degrease well.

Unfortunately it seems that Loctite 243 is even harder for me to obtain than Threebond. I'll clean the threads real good like you both say, and I suppose I'll put plenty of loctite on.

242 is what I'll be using. Thanks very much for your advice.