Sign in to follow this  

2014 300xcw with gnarly seems like cold weather caused power loss...

Do you have to change your jetting for colder temps?

I put a gnarly pipe on the 300xcw and I liked the way it boosted the power in 2nd and 3rd.  It did rob top end, pretty dramatically which is a bit of a drag on open stuff but I'd rather have the crawl power.

Does the colder weather require a jetting change?

As soon as the temps dropped to (30-40s) on some of our rides I noticed that al of that low end boost was gone and I'd have to rev it out just to keep it from entering the burble zone.  It sounds fine when I'm riding but if I don't stay on it going through tough stuff it'll stall.

Here's where it's at now with the gnarly pipe:

Needle n3ch 3rd pos  

Pilot? (stock)

Main 162

Idle air 1.75 turns out

I am having issues idling too but that's just the pilot, air and idle speed screws.

If you had the bike perfectly jetted for summer heat then you would need to jet it richer to be perfect at winter temps in the 30*s. That is reflected in the KTM jetting chart in the owner manual.. Right? 

Most guys I ride with don't rejet they say there jetting combo is OK at all conditions. I'm new to the 2T jetting and have my 250 pretty lean for the summer. I feel as lean as I run it in the summer I have to rejet for cooler temps. SO far I have gone up 3 sizes on the main and raised the needle one clip. 

I'm not familiar with the N3 series needles to tell you what jets to use. But, if you are no liking the way it runs and it ran fine at warmer temps then try a jet change. 

Might try Jeff's test -- 

Edited by DrKayak
  • Like 1

If you had the bike perfectly jetted for summer heat then you would need to jet it richer to be perfect at winter temps in the 30*s. That is reflected in the KTM jetting chart in the owner manual.. Right? 

Most guys I ride with don't rejet they say there jetting combo is OK at all conditions. I'm new to the 2T jetting and have my 250 pretty lean for the summer. I feel as lean as I run it in the summer I have to rejet for cooler temps. SO far I have gone up 3 sizes on the main and raised the needle one clip. 

I'm not familiar with the N3 series needles to tell you what jets to use. But, if you are no liking the way it runs and it ran fine at warmer temps then try a jet change. 

Might try Jeff's test -- 

Thanks for that and I thought that's what it would be.  I copied someone else's needle and jetting setup and I was happy with it, I'll see if I can figure out which way to go.

For Temps under 50 (30-50) I just go one clip richer. Usually go in about a 1/4 turn on the air screw for each 10 degree drop too. Runs perfect. (JD Jetting needle)

Your seeing a power loss because the bike is running lean with the colder weather

My 300 requires significant jetting changes for the winter

I see you're in CO, what temps and altitude are you running in?

I'm having poor idle and off idle issues.  After looking at the info here I'm guessing it's all air screw/pj related.  It runs and pulls fine past the burble zone.

I see you're in CO, what temps and altitude are you running in?

I'm having poor idle and off idle issues

what about you???alt/temp?if your runnin stock pilot,that's too lean,that's your idle and off idle,up 2 sizes,try drop clip 1,easy to try,most riding is needle & clip position,,,the gnarly kills top where your main kicks in,,,also you have to adj air screw [affects idle/off idle]

• Like 1

Might try Jeff's test -- 

I turned it in about a half a tune and it solved it!  thanks!