Sign in to follow this  

Measuring squish

So I'm wanting to ship out my cylinder and head for repair and machining this weekend. I went to measure my squish with 0.062 solder that i have. It didn't squish at all. After going to a few different stores, i could not find thicker rosin core solder. I can buy some online but i don't want to wait.

So my question, is there an alternative way of measuring the squish accurately without solder?

I tried PlayDo but it's too soft to get an accurate reading. Thinking about buying some modeling clay. Do you think that will work or just a waste of time? Thanks

If you twist together two pieces of the thinner solder tightly that should work. I've done it. Just have to be a little more careful where you put the calipers on to measure.

If you twist together two pieces of the thinner solder tightly that should work. I've done it. Just have to be a little more careful where you put the calipers on to measure.

Genius. I tried folding it over on itself to stack it. But it just fell over. Lol. Thanks man i will give that a try.

Thanks again for the tip on twisting it. I got consistent readings of 0.065 on one side and 0.067 on the other.

Is this close enough or should i have it machined down a touch? Thanks again.

Just skimmed through the squish thread again. I will have it brought down to 0.050". Thanks for the help again.

Just make sure to have whomever you send it to open the combustion chamber an appropriate amount or your compression will go through the roof.

Sending it to Eric gorr with my cracked cylinder. I tried contacting him but I'm unable it find his site. Can anyone get Eric Gorr's contact information for me ? Thanks

Thanks for the information but I don't think Eric Gorr works for them anymore.

• Like 1