Sign in to follow this  

Anyone added Stage 1 Hotcams to a RMZ 270 Big Bore?

G'day folks. 

I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with the Stage 1 Hotcams, especially on a Cylinder Works 270 kitted motor. 

I've got a 2012 with 270 BB, Meshless filter cage, pipe. I've got an EFI controller coming to tinker with. My riding is on tight sandy MX tracks and gravelly trails / hills, so I'm looking at the Stage 1 thinking it will be the goods for improved low and mid range grunt. Just looking for feedback on whether the improvement is marked before I drop the cash on them. The Dyno chart at Hotcams looks good but I don't know how honest that is. 

Any experience you may have is appreciated. 

Thanks

Brendan

Edited by brenno

I've read that stage two are better if you go with BB. Stage one if not. BB give much more low end along with stage two cams to pickup top end.

I run stage one cams with FMF powerbomb and 4.1. Also remapped the ECU. It's great!

Edited by JFM43

I've read that stage two are better if you go with BB. Stage one if not. BB give much more low end along with stage two cams to pickup top end.

I run stage one cams with FMF powerbomb and 4.1. Also remapped the ECU. It's great!

Thanks. How did you notice the power difference when you installed the stage 1's? Did it fatten up that whole low to midrange region?

Did it affect starting?

Or did you do all your mods at once?

I really just want to maximise the midrange as that's where I ride it. I never really get the chance to take it over 10,ooo Rpm so the Stage 2 would be moot. 

Cheers :-)

Edited by brenno

Thanks. How did you notice the power difference when you installed the stage 1's? Did it fatten up that whole low to midrange region?

Did it affect starting?

Or did you do all your mods at once?

I really just want to maximise the midrange as that's where I ride it. I never really get the chance to take it over 10,ooo Rpm so the Stage 2 would be moot. 

Cheers :-)

Honestly, the stage one hot cams didn't really make that much difference. They did make some, in low to mid, (minimal though). Didn't make any difference in starting. The biggest difference came from re-mapping the ecu. Now, it pulls hard from bottom all the way to the top. When re-mapping the ECU, he advances the timing by a few degrees which made it easier to start, and adjusts the fuel curve so that there are really no flat spots. It just pulls hard through every gear.

If I run U-4, it feels very much like my old RMZ450.

ECU map was $50 plus shipping. Best mod for the money IMO. And, it's just a plug-in.

Edited by JFM43

Honestly, the stage one hot cams didn't really make that much difference. They did make some, in low to mid, (minimal though). Didn't make any difference in starting. The biggest difference came from re-mapping the ecu. Now, it pulls hard from bottom all the way to the top. When re-mapping the ECU, he advances the timing by a few degrees which made it easier to start, and adjusts the fuel curve so that there are really no flat spots. It just pulls hard through every gear.

If I run U-4, it feels very much like my old RMZ450.

ECU map was $50 plus shipping. Best mod for the money IMO. And, it's just a plug-in.

Sounds good. Who remapped it for you?

I have the 270 kit on my 2012 and I purchased the Stage 2 cams.  I didn't like the intake cam; seemed all bottom end was lost and really needed to ride in the upper rpm range. I'm a 45+ A/B MX rider but I don't ring the guts out of a bike. I ride it more like a 450.  Anyway, I ended up putting the stock intake cam back in and left the stage 2 exhaust cam and I really like the difference it made. Other mods to compliment the big bore are FMF full exhaust, moto tassinari intake, Electronic Jet Kit programmer (but I'm about to send my ECU to motolab).  I'm about 170 lbs. and the biggest improvement I found was putting a 14 tooth sprocket on the front.  I needed to grind the chain guard a little for it to fit and I can still pull 2nd gear starts with no problem.

Charlie