Sign in to follow this  

XR600 wideband tuning

Managed to get a hold of a mates lambda gauge and sensor for a few weeks.

Has anyone here had any tuning experience with the big Ol XR and can give me some numbers to shoot for across the throttle range? Ride ability and smooth throttle is the aim. With power a close second and economy not really given much thought.

Previous owner said it has a '630' kit through it but unconfirmed. Has a no name(xrs only maybe?) stainless slip on, stock headers And a mikuni TM38-85 carb.

I know the gauge isn't the be all and end all. But it's my first foray into tuning carbs and will give me more than 'seat of my pants' which has proven a poor guide up to this point.

Get your main (WOT) right, then then pilot, then the needle.

The needle it the key to driveablility.

In the TT XR section there are tons of threads on sucessful jetting for similar set ups to yours.

Stock headers are a are a real problem for the main jet, as they have the weld restrictors in them and and exhibit terrible non-linear turbulance, making jetting hard to get right just below WOT.

You should be able to find used performance headers on ebay no problem.

Edited by KRANNIE

Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for headers.

Tuning wise I've got it as close as I can get with Google and seat of my pants.

Can't balance starting with aggressive onto 1/4throttle with too lean too low. Hoping this will give me a more visual guide.

Not confident the gauge I have is accurate. As it shows a steady .68 at idle regardless what I do with the screw.... and no high than .75 up to 3/4throttle. BUT the exhaust crackles a little on heavy decel which I've read as lean? Gauge spikes to 1.0.

From what I've seen I'm aiming for .9

The other But... Above 3/4 the bike wants to stall out. (Roll on or snap makes no difference) Gauge goes nowhere. Everywhere else in the range is silky smooth.... Assuming it's the main jet. But is that a symptom of lean or rich?

This is all VERY likely my inexperience too... I'll drop the needle in a couple days when I get a chance to work on it again to lean it out a little.

Almost sound like the decimal point is off 1 digit to the left , maybe. What's your plug look like ? While idling , does the exhaust stink ?

Decimal is fine. It's lambda not afr.

Took side cover off. Made no effect to readings at 1/4 and half throttle but bike revs out cleanly.

Not sure from here if I can fix that with jetting or if I need to open the air box up?