Sign in to follow this  

The time for riding is at hand, where is my steed?

Greetings, gentlemen of thumpertalk. Long has it been since I've posted on these forums and once again I find myself in search of your collective wisdom. Once upon a time I was a 15 year old greenhorn asking what bike should I buy? Which is the best? Are you sure because my friend said x and I read y. This was back when there was a 125cc class and we were on the eve of 4t takeover. After much internal debate I was given a 2008 kx250f, right off the showroom floor. Wow, was that a lot of bike but she was good to me. I learned to blaze the trail and eventually found myself conquering my first double at the local track. I fell quite a lot but always got back up. Eventually, true to my fathers word, my apathy towards maintenance caught up to me and I had a catastrophic engine failure a year later. At a ripe age of 16 my summer job just couldn't cover the cost so I had to sell my bike for next to nothing. I found myself back to these boards for council seeing as how the next bike I had to pay for. Valuable lesson learned I was looking for something I could learn to maintain and afford if something should go awry. I picked myself up an 02 cr125. At first I loathed the bike, but after learning proper technique (or at least what I picked up from old timers faster than myself) I could hold my own again. So it was through high school and college. Eventually my interests wandered and funds were allocated to girlfriends, trips, and all sorts of tom foolery. Then I graduated college, got a "job" which just takes up all of your fun time I came to find out. Now I've settled into the ebb and flow of things and am ready to start ripping again. I found a sweet gig offshore and one of the pros is I have 4 months of the year to literally do as I please. My plan is to travel the country for about 2 months and hit all the dream riding spots (look for my other post if you have any suggestions, would be most appreciated). I have been isolated to Louisiana my whole riding career with a little Mississippi scattered in there and know there is more out there. Now down to business, it's time for a new bike and my options are used 2t or brand new 4t. I am now knocking on the door of 24, stand at 5'11 and weigh in at 225-230. As stated I plan on traveling, west I presume. There will be tracks, there will be trails. I do not look for a strict do all from stock, I plan on riding more trails than track but it would be nice if I could do something as simple as stiffen up my suspension and hit a track without bottoming in every jump. The engines produced nowadays are quite versatile as I understand it. Front runner is a ktm250xc (I'm not opposed to the yz, you'll never catch me bashing yami or ktm). I have spent more time on a 2t and haven't thrown a leg over a 4t since my old kx. It seems like the most natural progression. However I never have forgotten how simple that 250f seemed to make things. So of course the 250f is on the list. However I'm told you really have to wring those machines out now to make great power. In my mind this puts further wear on an expensive contraption. I'm assuming I'd get a yz250f, I hear good things. Then there is the new ktm450xc. Seems logical for my weight and they really have been putting those 459's on a diet since I was younger. 227lbs dry?! That's insane to me. Are these things that uncontrollable on the trails. My heart tells me 250 smoker, my-uh-something else tells me 450, my brain tells me 250f. I am confused, venting, and appreciate those who are still reading. This was quite long winded and I apologize but I am offshore and quite bored. Fair skies and fairer seas to all of you. Thank you beforehand for any advice given.

My buddy is similar to your dimensions, but probably 20 lbs lighter. He has the KTM450(XC? Sorry I don't know KTM) After many years on Hondas etc, he said he thinks this might be the bike he rides for the duration. Mostly off road with a little bit (very little) messing on tracks. He absolutely loves it. Although he has been eyeing 2T's here and there. If it were me and I had the funds, I might explore the KTM route. They seem to have a bike for every rider. Also, Beta seems to be putting out some really nice machines tailored to different riders' needs.

Myself, I'm a little guy, so I prefer 2 strokes for the power-to-weight advantage (and also the hit 😉 what a rush). But as you pointed out, some big pounds are being shed and the 4T world is catching up. For me, maintenance is a breeze on the 2T's. I just love them.

Probably your best bet is to go ride some. Having mostly Kawi's, I'm shocked at the difference in handling and power delivery of a Yamaha (not better, but way different IMO). They are different animals. See if you can go do some test rides. I think these days, with all the advances and variety from the various makes, it just comes down to what YOU like and what speaks to YOU. Just like buying a guitar...

Just my opinion.

Edited by Bron-Yr-Aur

Given your 2 options, my advice would be to grab a good used 2 stroke like the ktm 250 and ride it for a year or two. Get out there riding with people and borrow rides whenever you can. You will have a better perspective of what you like by then and you can then decide if/how/when you want to make a change.

I'm inches from pulling the trigger on a ktm250xc, there is no arguing the fun factor. Idk what I'd do without having to premix my fuel. Thing is I'm not scared of progress. My only hesitation is everywhere I look people are riding the 4t. Is there something in the water or is there some science to the madness? Are the mass numbers attributed to solely rider preference? I'd love to meet some members in my travels and tear up the trails with them. Price isn't a concern, I can afford the 16 450 but there is no point in spending money when you don't have to. I have zero opportunities to ride anything but a 250f, of which I am familiar. All my friends ride 250's and are more than willing to share. The choice is mine but I always like to make an educated guess so I take the experience of others, sift through the biased statements and make an informed decision. Thank you for sharing

I've wondered all the hype myself. The most frustrating part of the hype now is that "2T's don't make good enduro bikes." Really? Might wanna inform Johnny Walker, Graham Jarvis et al of that.

Edited by Bron-Yr-Aur

I vote a 250-300 2 stroke or a 450 if want to go the 4 stroke route. The 2 strokes are as good as ever, most of the hype about 4 strokes is just that. The 2 strokes generally do better in uglier terrain, while the 4 stroke are more at home on a track or more open trails.

I vote a 250-300 2 stroke or a 450 if want to go the 4 stroke route. The 2 strokes are as good as ever, most of the hype about 4 strokes is just that. The 2 strokes generally do better in uglier terrain, while the 4 stroke are more at home on a track or more open trails.

No love for the 350/390/430? I would be mote inclined toward those myself.

Edited by Wonderspoon

I've feel like I've read until my eyes border bleeding, scoured the web for any forum containing relevant information pertaining to my cause. I've been in contact with Evergreen for a custom toy hauler (super guys I highly recommend) and am almost ready to begin my country ride adventure. At the moment I may just buy a 16' 450xc and a recent model 250xc. I think I would rather enjoy the peppy, lively feel of the 250 as opposed to the Lugging feeling everyone uses to describe the 300. That being said everyone seems to endorse the 300 as the supreme woods weapon, including all the dirt bike mag reviews. But those are made to sell bikes so I take those with a grain of salt. As wonderspoon pointed out the 350 puts a knock in my plans. I came upon this in my reading and tried my damnest to ignore the bike but logic is beginning to prevail. My issue is I can't get a feel for a bike putt putting around the KTM parking lot. I'm not sure what I'm scared of but I'm apprehensive. I get back on shore in 2 weeks and I just have the worst itch for a new bike. I won't be traveling for until this summer so I'll have a while to familiarize myself with my new ride.

No love for the 350/390/430? I would be mote inclined toward those myself.

While I haven't spent that much time on the Beta 4 strokes, I'd probably go with the 430 or the 480 as they all weigh the same in the same chassis. I'm a 2 stroke guy, the only reason I bought my Husky 450 is because it was plated.

OP, I'm going through a same dilemma as you at the moment and am leaning more towards the 450 XC-F, pending some more information. Here's a link to the thread I posted in the KTM section:

https://thumpertalk.com/topic/1168178-new-bike-deliberation-sx-f-or-xc-f/

Answers to my post might prove to be useful for you as well. Good Luck!

OP, I'm going through a same dilemma as you at the moment and am leaning more towards the 450 XC-F, pending some more information. Here's a link to the thread I posted in the KTM section:

https://thumpertalk.com/topic/1168178-new-bike-deliberation-sx-f-or-xc-f/

Answers to my post might prove to be useful for you as well. Good Luck!

Much appreciated CSAR!!