Sign in to follow this  

XR200/XR250 Swingarm Install Questions

I'm building an XR200 for the upcoming Diamond Don's race in April and am adapting a 1986 xr250 aluminum swingarm w/1984 xr250 shock linkage to a 1995 xr200 and have run into an issue.

The xr250 swingarm bolted up fine to the xr200 but, when I went to bolt-on the 84 xr250 linkage, I discovered the linkage mounting towers on the xr250 swingarm to have different diameter bolt holes. The tower on the right which is steel sleeved has a 12mm diameter which accepts the mounting bolt fine. The tower on the left has a 20mm mounting hole, is bare aluminum and appears to require some kind of bushing.

Looking at the partzilla microfiche for 86-91 xr250 swingarms, I can't for the life of me determine what part is required to shim or bushing the bolt hole on the left tower so it will accept the 12mm mounting bolt.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Karl

xrsa~1.JPG

xrsa~2.JPG

xrsa~3.JPG

• Like 1

Use the bolt from the XR250 SA, it is a socket head cap screw with a 20mm OD head that fits the left side hole.

And add washers (avail at Home Depot) to locate the shock in the center of the bike and the head of the bolt inside the left boss. 

Your first pic shows where the head of the OEM bolt was positioned in the left boss.

Mcdirtclod had excellent write up several years ago, which I followed and put on an 86XR250R swingarm on my 87XR200R.

I think you are referring to the unique bolt that goes through the linkage, swingarm & bottom of shock.

Use the photos in McDirtClod's write up to help you out. 

BOLT, SOCKET (12X102)

90128-MN1-670

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Honda-XR250R-XR-250-Swingarm-Swing-Arm-Rear-Shock-Linkage-Bolts-/131687178295?hash=item1ea92ae037:g:ZMEAAOSwZ1lWgcjA&vxp=mtr

It is the top bolt and look to the left as the best way to describe it is a huge cap bolt. 

https://thumpertalk.com/topic/799727-1991-xr200-extreme-makeover/?&p=8511906&hl=makeover&fromsearch=1#entry8511906

Hope that was helpful.

Michael 

Chuck & Michael,

After seeing the ebay pic of the special bolt, it makes total sense. I appreciate the help and quick reply

Edited by ezygo