Sign in to follow this  

Any tricks needed for removal of the stock exhaust?

So I'm heading out to where my bike is stored so I can remove the stock exhaust and get it ready for shipping to the new owner. I've never attempted to pull off an exhaust on a bike before and am not really sure what I need to take with me to aid the removal. I do have a small cordless impact driver and a smaller breaker bar.

My bike is a 08 S with about 6000 miles on it. It has been garage kept or covered it's whole life. Any suggestions or comments on what you did? Thanks.

By the way, my bike is an hour from where I'm living and a half hour from the nearest hardware store. Thanks everyone! 20151205_160525.jpg

• Like 1

i slightly loosen the header(barely enough to wiggle it)

undo passenger peg bolt, and subframe bolt

then goto the back, grab the end pipe with both hands, and twist back and forth(clockwise/counter clockwise) AND pull towards you ..if its a real pain ill spray some wd40 penetrant release into the end pipe connection/to header

it will come off eventually.. my yoshi was a pain!! one of the most energy consuming jobs for me on the drz lol

(my yoshi was messed up at the end pipe/header connection and dented in a bit there)

Edited by 707LAKE
  • Like 2

i slightly loosen the header(barely enough to wiggle it)

undo passenger peg bolt, and subframe bolt

then goto the back, grab the end pipe with both hands, and twist back and forth(clockwise/counter clockwise) AND pull towards you ..if its a real pain ill spray some wd40 penetrant release into the end pipe connection/to header

it will come off eventually.. my yoshi was a pain!! one of the most energy consuming jobs for me on the drz lol

(my yoshi was messed up at the end pipe/header connection and dented in a bit there)

Ok, so the header bolts probably won't be frozen?

Ok, so the header bolts probably won't be frozen?

the bolts for the head to header.. no they have never been frozen for me

there will also be a semi soft exhaust gasket sitting in the head..ive never had to replace mine, but some ppl mess it up or its it has chunks taken out and needs replacing

Edited by 707LAKE
  • Like 2

Its very easy,  i just recently removed me MRD and put on a stocker,  took me like 1/2 hour,   what pipe are you going with?

MRD
  • Like 3

Traverse City will NOW know when you're on your bike.........hahahahahaha.

Even the dead will rise up and say......damn kid, why doesn't he get a quieter muffler......lmao🤣

• Like 4

I can see the 'glee' in your eye's ! 🤣  Your bike pulled really nice with the 14/47 sprockets !   :ride:  You WON'T believe the difference when it's ALL done !  :jawdrop:

And bring er on down & bring your American Express ! 🤣  🤦  :devil:

Edited by Throttle5
  • Like 3

I can see the 'glee' in your eye's ! 🤣  Your bike pulled really nice with the 14/47 sprockets !   :ride:  You WON'T believe the difference when it's ALL done !  :jawdrop:

And bring er on down & bring your American Express ! 🤣  🤦  :devil:

If I bring a credit card, I might as well bring all my stuff. Lol
  • Like 3

Wow, you're like a 1/2 hour away from me BlueHeart! Small world!

Where you at? PM me if you don't want to post it. Edited by BlueHeart

You are going to love the MRD,   i recently removed mine to put on a stocker,  and right away,  POWER LOSS,  big time to be completely honest,  before in first gear if i would wot it,  it would come up effortlessly,  not it does it about half way,  and with the MRD it was able to climb up in speed so much quicker,  the stock can is like a power restrictior,  lol,  BUT its quiet,  that is honestly the only thing it has going for it.   looking forward to seeing your pics.  congrats.  👍

• Like 2

So it came off super easy.

I assume the "new to me" MRD will only need my header hexbolt and nut (for the stud) plus the hexbolts for the passenger peg mount. Plus the muffler nut and hexbolt. Do I reuse the midpipe clamp too? Or should I send that with the stock exhaust to the new owner?

The gasket donut came off with the header pipe. Do I need a stock one or is there a MRD donut I need?

Thanks!

Edited by BlueHeart
  • Like 1

So it came off super easy.

I assume the "new to me" MRD will only need my header hexbolt and nut (for the stud) plus the hexbolts for the passenger peg mount. Plus the muffler nut and hexbolt. Do I reuse the midpipe clamp too? Or should I send that with the stock exhaust to the new owner?

The gasket donut came off with the header pipe. Do I need a stock one or is there a MRD donut I need?

Thanks!

No midpipe clamp on the MRD,  the header and the muffler just slide into one another,  so send that with your stock exhuast.  the gasket you will need,  either peel it off the stock header carefully and reuse,  or order a new one,  i always reused the stocker. 

• Like 2

Not sure if they are all this way, but my bike had a bolt going thru the upper header flange into the head and there was a stud in the head for the lower hole of the flange. The cap nut that threaded onto the stud was a 6 millimeter hex and there is not much clearance between it and the radiator. Apparently anti-seize was not used as the nut was a bear to loosen. I resorted to using a hex bit with a quarter inch box end slid up as close to the nut as possible to avoid the sideways torque that sometimes happens when using an Allen wrench.

Enjoy that new exhaust!

Ha! I just noticed that you removed your exhaust easily. Great!

I just scrolled to the bottom it to leave my reply before I read them all.

Maybe this can help someone else.

20160119_144914.jpg

Edited by pumptrack
  • Like 3

Not sure if they are all this way, but my bike had a bolt going thru the upper header flange into the head and there was a stud in the head for the lower hole of the flange. The cap nut that threaded onto the stud was a 6 millimeter hex and there is not much clearance between it and the radiator. Apparently anti-seize was not used as the nut was a bear to loosen. I resorted to using a hex bit with a quarter inch box end slid up as close to the nut as possible to avoid the sideways torque that sometimes happens when using an Allen wrench.

Enjoy that new exhaust!

Great point Tim! I forgot about that. I was able to use an Allen wrench that broke it loose. Then I repositioned it and was able to turn it to the point I could loosen it with my fingers.
  • Like 1

Try hi temp RTV if reusing the exhaust gasket, otherwise you may have a little exhaust pop (fun in tunnels).  Little dab of anti-seize on the exhaust nuts too.

• Like 2