Sign in to follow this  

Can't get gear shifter on XR400

During my engine rebuild I bought another gear selector shaft off eBay as the splines were way too worn down on my old one (the part the gear shifter bolts to).

Put next to my old one its identical except about 0.5mm wider which I assume it's due to the old ones teeth being worn down so much.

I can't get my shifter on to the splines, even gently tapping with a hammer it's just not budging.

Any ideas how I can open my shift lever up a bit to help it over the splines?

I've tried tapping it on, warming with a blow torch, prising a flat head screwdriver in the gap but it seems solid.

Thanks

Alan

The end of the shaft should be slightly chamfered. Is it? You might try using a file to taper the splines back a few mm from the shaft end, to give the lever splines a more gradual engagement.

The splines in the shift lever may be so worn from the old shaft the the valleys of the splines have become deformed enough to prevent your replacement shaft splines from mating up properly.

For the heck of it, be sure you got the proper part shaft. Count the number of splines to make sure it corresponds to that of the lever.

Edited by Trailryder42

Managed to get it on before I saw your post.

I put it in a vice and hammered a flat head screwdriver in the slot to open it up a little bit, it then wiggled on and I took the screwdriver out.

Only thing I never noticed during the rebuild, the small notch on the gear shaft is on the opposite side to the gap in the lever.

It all works and gear changes seem fine, but I can't work out how this has happened.

I've had a look at my old shaft and it seems fixed and doesn't rotate?