Sign in to follow this  

is this noise normal

was thinking of picking up this bike on monday 2005 crf450r with a full rebuild I know these bikes run a little loud but have never actually heard one myself just wondering what you guys think is that tick ok, Thanks Dean I have linked a video

3900 for that????  i should send my bike over there to sell, i can probably get 20,000 lol

• Like 1

ya well i live on vancouver island bikes are expensive here I've got him down to $3200 just wanna get somebody elses opinion on the ticking I'm assumiing its ok as bike was just at honda for a rebuild I've ridden 2strokes all my life so not to experienced with the 4strokes

ya well i live on vancouver island bikes are expensive here I've got him down to $3200 just wanna get somebody elses opinion on the ticking I'm assumiing its ok as bike was just at honda for a rebuild I've ridden 2strokes all my life so not to experienced with the 4strokes

Does he have receipts for all the claimed work? If so then proceed cautiously. If not walk away and save yourself a ton of money and heartache

ya well i live on vancouver island bikes are expensive here I've got him down to $3200 just wanna get somebody elses opinion on the ticking I'm assumiing its ok as bike was just at honda for a rebuild I've ridden 2strokes all my life so not to experienced with the 4strokes

I sent you a PM

Sounds noisy to me... Either it has an excessive valve lash, or a loose cam chain from a bad tensioner, or an incorrectly adjusted manual tensioner. $4000 is deep for an 05, You can buy that bike in Ontario for 2500, and have it shipped for $650! 

What's the end result of the noise? Normal, bad news... any one have any ideas? Can't leave us hanging. It's like a movie that doesn't have an ending!

Hot cam stage 2, they like to tick ,That what it sounds like to me

Ask the seller if that is what the cam is and than ask for the receipt 

they are noisy motors, that tick seems to be a little excessive but I agree it sounds like loose valve adjustment or timing chain which can both be an easy fix. However I do have a 450 quad that sounds just like that when its cold but only when its below freezing temperature. warm weather it sounds good. I kinda  wonder if its detonation from being lean in cold weather. I don't ride the quad in cold weather enough to rejet. just to the barn and back sometimes when my other rides are blocked in.

I'm going to take a look at it again this week, as well as one from a guy on this site that ended up having a 09. will let you guys know what happens and will ask him all questions that have been posted here thanks again for the help

3900 for that????  i should send my bike over there to sell, i can probably get 20,000 lol

come on now... let not forget youre in the states and hes in BC.

lets not forget that the exchange rate is 1.46 right now or .69

that 3500$ canadian is 2400$ USD.

but yeah, 3500-3999 is a bit high for an 05 here in AB/BC

I was exaggerating but the video says first 3999 takes it, about 2700 for a 05

that tick would bother me at that price, prob a easy fix but if you are paying top dollar for a 05 its should be perfect 

ya gunna go look today, thinking its just extra noisey because of the full wrap aluminium skid plate but gunna have another listen and take it to shop if I buy it and have them give it a look over. I will let you guys know more today morre in the weeks to come if I buy it.

trust me, thats not the noise a skid plate makes.  thats some serious top end knock.  valves is what it sounds like. ive never heard them tick that bad.  ive got an aluminum skid plate and it doesnt change the idle at all.

for $3500 youd be crazy to buy that.

for basically the same price, you can get a nice 07 with no tick:  http://www.kijiji.ca/v-dirt-bikes-motocross/revelstoke/2007-crf450r/1078595975?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

a 2005, I assume with no ticking on this one, is going for $2400:  http://www.kijiji.ca/v-dirt-bikes-motocross/vernon/2005-crf450r/1110935403?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

to pay $3500 for an 05 with a major tick is nuts dude.

this is a 3x nicer 05 for a few hundred less too:  http://www.kijiji.ca/v-dirt-bikes-motocross/kamloops/2005-crf-450r-awesome/1111708788?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

• Like 1

hell, if you can come up with another $1000 and make it 4500$ cash im sure this guy would let his barely used 2013 450R go:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-buy-sell-other/cranbrook/crf-450r/1126530329?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

stay away from that ticking 05 for $3500.  its worth about $2000 with that tick. 

Edited by cdf450

got it, paid $3200 tightened the timing chain tensioner tick gone. runs great he had all recites for work has new top end, have the old piston and is still in great shape. Took it for a easy ride thru some nice open trails, coming from a 250 two stroke this thing is so smooth power when ever you need it. taking it to a local shop in the morning and they are giving it all a look over just to be sure. as far as finding a cheaper bike come to the island and find one thats half decent for the price I paid, I've been looking for a while and everything is out of my pirce range or a piece of shit, I know I could go else where and find one cheaper but living on vancouver island and the ferry being over a $200 trip not to mention the gas it made sense to buy on the island. has a long list of upgrades that were just installed Kibblewhite Stainless Valves, 

Protaper Bars, Wiseco Piston, New timing chain, FMF Mega Bomb,  Oversized oring chain ,  Collapsable clutch lever, Collapsable brake lever, Collapsable shifter, Moose Bark busters, Moose Skid plate, Moose Kick stand. new tires  plus a list of parts for the rest of the rebuild.everything is all tight and good time will tell but after riding it I am very happy will post some updates as time goes on.     

50579469_934.jpg

50579460_934.jpg

Edited by dean4200