Sign in to follow this  

Big Bore Failure

I installed a cylinderworks bbk and an FCR amd MCCT the other day on my DRZ... Did everything right acccording to what I've read on the forums... Today was the break in and It went bad...

I got the bike started and warmed up and everything felt ok. 3 miles down the road if died and started billowing white smoke from the exhaust. There was no loud pop or bang just an instant loss of power..I grabbed the clutch and put if in neutral and pulled to the side of the road.

I did try to restart once and I could hear it spin but it didnt sound normal... And it didnt try to turn over. There are no leaks that I could find.

When I added the coolant I did not burp it. I screwed that part up.

I pushed it home but I won't be able to check on it until tonight...

Where should I start??

Oil?

Pull the plug to see what it looks like.

Coolant level and what does it look like?

Did the motor seize?....you said you pulled the clutch in?

Doesn't sound good but get some basic diagnostics done before pulling it apart.

Oil?

Pull the plug to see what it looks like.

Coolant level and what does it look like?

Did the motor seize?....you said you pulled the clutch in?

Doesn't sound good but get some basic diagnostics done before pulling it apart.

I had drained the oil and added 1.8 quarts and a new filter before riding.

I'll check the plug and coolant when I get home. I'm almost certain the motor didn't sieze... I didn't hear anything just a sudden loss of power.

I drained the oil and it was black with a little grey.

I drained the coolant and it was all green and there was plenty of it... I also noticed inhad forgotten to plug in my fan :/

I tried to turn the motor by band and it turns freely.

The sparkplug had a small chunk out of it.

IMG_20160116_201816782_zpsyoct5p3a.jpg

Should I put in a new plug, oil, and coolant and try to start it?

You're going to need more than a plug. Time to pull it apart and see how bad the damage is. Spark plugs don't just fall apart (unless it's an old RM with the wrong plug, haha) That damage is due to something broken banging against it. Whether the failure was the piston or rings or valves or whatever, that's a sign of physical damage. Even without a fan (E's don't have them anyways iirc) it should have been OK as long as you were moving along. Improper assembly, lack of lube or fault part would be my guesses.

Edited by Bandit0
  • Like 3

I drained the oil and it was black with a little grey.

I drained the coolant and it was all green and there was plenty of it... I also noticed inhad forgotten to plug in my fan :/

I tried to turn the motor by band and it turns freely.

The sparkplug had a small chunk out of it.

IMG_20160116_201816782_zpsyoct5p3a.jpg

Should I put in a new plug, oil, and coolant and try to start it?

Um looks like you need to pull the head. Something made contact with that plug :jawdrop: Maybe it dropped a valve.

• Like 2

Dude,  this sucks so bad,  i feel for you man,  definately a sucky FWP.  👎   hoping its not a lot of damage and you can get it going again,  i too wonder what happened,  please quote me when ever you find out and reply,  id like to know the outcome.   good luck. 

• Like 3

Dude, this sucks so bad, i feel for you man, definately a sucky FWP. 👎 hoping its not a lot of damage and you can get it going again, i too wonder what happened, please quote me when ever you find out and reply, id like to know the outcome. good luck.

I pulled the valve cover and found brownish oil/coolant mix over the exhaust valves

IMG_20160117_065135270_HDR_zpsoxqmdm02.j

Also the cams were way out of time at TDC. When I installed them they were at 10 and 2.

IMG_20160117_063036015_zpsxgqcgnig.jpg

I'm about to pull the head to see just how bad it is.

• Like 1

Here's a better picture of the head.

IMG_20160117_080823546_HDR_zpsq0rexbfr.j

From what I can tell the head is toast, the piston is toast, the valves are toast..my plastic cam chain guide is warped... And that's all.without knowing about what kind of metal fell into the bottom end...

I'm devestaed... Is it going to be cheaper to just buy an engine off eBay??

• Like 1

Was the cams timed with the cam chain tensioned as it would be when running or with the chain loose ?  Stuff like this gets a person sick , when I was younger I rebuild a TS250 , new piston/rings , bored the cylinder ect.. put it all together and gave it a quick kick , she stopped dead. Turns out I didn't pay attention to the arrow on top of the piston, wrecked it and needed a whole new rebore and piston. I know the feeling.

• Like 2

Holy cow man, that really sucks and it makes me unsettled cause I'm having a big bore done right now. But now I'm glad I turned it over to a shop instead of doing it myself.

Was the cams timed with the cam chain tensioned as it would be when running or with the chain loose ?  Stuff like this gets a person sick , when I was younger I rebuild a TS250 , new piston/rings , bored the cylinder ect.. put it all together and gave it a quick kick , she stopped dead. Turns out I didn't pay attention to the arrow on top of the piston, wrecked it and needed a whole new rebore and piston. I know the feeling.

This ^, valve timing could have been off some how and a valve contacted the piston. Either way inertia welded valves make ne nervous.

This ^, valve timing could have been off some how and a valve contacted the piston. Either way inertia welded valves make ne nervous.

TS 250's a 2-stroke. Backwards piston probably caught a ring end in a port.

Edited by JoeRC51

TS 250's a 2-stroke. Backwards piston probably caught a ring end in a port.

Was referring to the DRZ and slacked chain

• Like 1

DAMN Ink!!!! I've been reading this hoping you weren't going to feel too much pain, but from your pics.......not so good. Sorry man, that sucks for sure. :(

I'm thinking and engine off Ebay.......???