2005 RM250 vs 2005 YZ250

Here it goes...

43 year old senior c class hare scramble, northeast woods rider. Looking to buy a 2t bike to supplement/replace 2003 WR250f. Meet the candidates...

2005 rm 250 2 stroke dirtbike for sale bike has around 55 hours on it and 2 hours on a new vertex top end. Mods include 13 oz flywheel weight, vforce 3 reeds, pro circuit works expansion chamber and and fmf shorty silencer, newer tires with good tread left, works connection skid plate, hour meter, pro taper bars and grips, c cycle suspension, gripper seat cover and newer x ring chain and steel sprockets. Also has a carbon fiber e-line pipe guard.

Bike was well taken care of. 

2005 yz 250 Clarke tank,  flywheel weight, factory pipe w carbon fiber guard (spare dented fmf and q silencer), cf skid plate, need tires, factory connection suspension, gripper seat cover, hand guards, tons of spare parts. have title and service manual. raced for 1 and 1/2 netra seasons by B class rider (yami 5-star tech).

Bike was always well maintained.

RM looks real pretty...and is about $300 more than what i can get the YZ for. YZ looks like it was ridden...but remember these are internet pics...YZ also about 2 additional driving hours (total) to pick up.

Considering the above...I value most opinions!  :excuseme:

Based solely on experience not the actual bikes and their descriptions, I would choose the YZ for HS racing simply because its got MUCH better suspension, its less violent of a motor and is easier to manage in the bush.

The RM was one of my favorite and least favorite bikes at the same time if that makes any sense. The reason I liked it was it hit like a freight train, it pulled HARD until the top of 5th and always left you grinning. Turning is an absolute dream on it too.Thing is, in the woods it was pretty crappy. I had the suspension done and it still wouldnt hold its own compared to stock Yammy forks. I cant count the amount of times I was riding the RM and all of a sudden I was upside down in the bushes. She was also very much dormant until higher RPM so excellent clutch control is mandatory for traction. On the track... what a weapon!

The YZ was a bit tamer and had a much broader power range. It was still fast, but not like the RM. Suspension wise, it was hard to beat... I wish my current bike had suspension like that. It seemed to make all of the difference in the woods, the bike was much more compliant over rocky and rough terrain and the wide power spread made slower riding and climbing hills much easier. The turning abilities are pretty good, but you just couldnt carve it like the RM. It was more reliable over time than the RM by quite a large margin too, which is fairly important if you ask me.  

As you can see, they were both good in their own ways.. but for the type of riding you intend to use it for I would lean towards the YZ.. unless what you're looking at is roached. 

Was leaning toward RM because of lower hours. Was thinking that 13oz flywheel addition might help woodsify the powerband. Suspension has been done so maybe not as harsh as your experience. But I do love my yami. So reliable and I have a couple of 18" rims for the rear.

1-1 at this point so keep the votes coming boys!

Both bikes are bill of sale only. I know 06 yami has better suspension up front. Handles better than 05 yz too? Heard rm handles like a dream.

Plan is to go check them out tomorrow. Can't wait to see which one will follow me home!

Keep the opinions coming! I'm still undecided which is crazy.

Honestly, the hours raced on the yz concerns me. Top end and tires for sure. RM claims under 60 hours on bike! It happens to be the closer bike geographically as well. Unless it's a pos I'll probably go for it. Both bikes seem to hold their value so I'm sure I could flip either for a return of my investment. Hoping to love the switch to 2t. Haven't read a single opinion in favor of staying with a 4t.

Feels like Christmas Eve!

How so? There's tons of bikes out there with little to no hours on them. 

+1 I know quite a few people that buy new bikes, go on a handful of rides, and never get on the bike again. I bought my 07 te450 last year and it was on the original grips, although it was up to 70 hours on the factory computer.

Just buy the bike in better condition.  I have several bikes that I use for harescrambles (right now two YZs and a KTM), but I have used bikes from all the major manufacturers.  Observations:

1. Don't buy into the YZ SSS suspension hype.  If the bike is an MX bike, the suspension will suck for harescramble racing.  If you go with an MX bike, budget for the revalve.  It will be by far the best money you ever spend on a motorcycle.

2. I feel like people put WAY too much weight on "characteristics" of certain brands.  Sure my RM turned well, but it only takes a little tuning to get a KTM or YZ to turn really well too.  All modern smokers have really similar designs.  It's not like the old days (70s) when bikes were rapidly changing and really different.

3. The key to a good harescramble weapon is suspension.  Even 125s have plenty of power.  The key is having suspension that won't beat you to death in a 2 hour race.  Whatever you buy, budget for suspension.  (And that new 250x is ready to go off the floor!)

An empty trailer followed me home. I couldn't get this out of my mind...

http://worcester.craigslist.org/mcy/5406093712.html

I missed that one because I was already planning to go look at the two 05s. Stopped checking CL and the 07 gets posted...God's way of saying to hold out. I was so disheartened after riding the RM that I didn't even go check out the YZ...not up to driving further to still be unhappy. 

Funny thing...RM had 55 hours on the clock. No way right? Dude finally admitted that he installed it 55 hours ago when he bought the bike. Typical CL...gotta sift through the liars and thieves!

I've had good luck on CL though and have actually made money on 3 bikes we've owned, ridden, and maintained. So Im still looking...maybe a YZ125?!? Im a small guy at 5'9" 155lbs

Well what do you know, I was right. Common sense pays off again!

OP, a 125 would be great for you if you don't need a ton of bottom end.

they are out there. Ad last summer had 05 or 06 rm for sale. Needed new tires. The originals looked good but were completely dry rotted.

I bought my 07 450 3 years ago. Maybe 20 hours. Likely less.

Brother in law bought a ktm. 5 years old or so. Paint still on the foot peg tops still intact.