Sign in to follow this  

Stuck in First After Rebuild - 03 KX250

I pulled apart my engine to remove the broken tip off a magnetic drain plug and since have reassembled. The transmission is stuck in first and won't move from there. I have previously done a rebuild and everything went together fine. Is it safe to say that I put the transmission together wrong and should now remove the engine again?

As much as I don't want to do that as its cold here now, I would like to get this running again so I can ride once it gets warmer. 

Is there anything else I should look at before removing the engine?

Thanks

Pull the clutch side engine cover and inspect the shifter mechanism.  See if the shifter moves with the cover off.  Make sure the shift rod lever arm is engaging the shift ratchet mechanism.

The side cover holds all of this in place so when the engine is apart it can get screwed up. 

It does move. The shift rod is attached to the collar on the shift mechanism. I didn't put the clutch cover back on after taking it off to inspect the first time. Does this cover need to be on in order for the transmission to shift? 

I have looked in the manual and the shift star and shift mech are installed properly and torqued to spec.

Does the shifter move through its normal range and return to center?

The cover just keeps the shift rod from sliding out.  It will shift just fine with the cover off as long as its fully seated.

The shifter does move up but not down because it's in first. It feels normal except for the click into second which makes me not think its the springs on the shift mechanism.

You have to spin the front sprocket to get it to shift when the motor isn't running

I've tried to shift while spinning the rear wheel. The clutch also won't disengage the gear.

Last time I did a rebuild, the clutch was sticking so I revved it up in neutral and popped it into first and it was fine after that.

I appreciate the responses. At this point if nothing is obvious, I may just tear it down again.

Edited by bbb222