Sign in to follow this  

2002 yz250 Steahly FWW

I have a Steahly FWW for this bike, correct part number 825H. got it from another forum member, and it's in really good shape.

I have a 2002 yz250, have the paperwork and checked the vin number.

The FWW won't screw on the crank, everything is clean and looks good.  So I measured ID of the flywheel bolt, its about 12mm, measured ID of FWW it about 8.5mm. Not sure how good I am at measuring with the caliper, but the bolt ID looks bigger that the FWW as well.

What gives?  The stock bolt screws on/off just fine, this is a pretty clean bike, I don't think it was ridden that hard during it's life.

Did yamaha change to a different crank during 2002?  I know that 2002 is different than the other years.

Thanks for any help!

Edited by crc515

Lay the flywheel nut you took off the crank on top of the fww. Compare the sizes of the threaded holes.

Sounds like someone put an 03+ crank in the motor. Or the motor is simply from an 03+ bike. Flywheel end of crankshaft is 10mm for 02 and 12mm for 03+. Or your bike is actually an 03+. Pretty hard to tell the diff between the 02 and 03.

• Like 1

I checked out the engine number with a google search.  Could only find one site that lists years by engine number and it says it's an '02.  G106E-007491 anyone know of a better site to check eying numbers for year?

The fame vin checks out as an '02 and matches with he title and paperwork I have.

Weird!

maybe they did put in an '03 crank, but the bike doesn't look like anyone did much of anything to it.  

Yeah its really common to put 03+ crank in 02. Look at it this way...now you have the more common crank in your 02 and don't have to worry about that spindly little 10mm fww end getting buggered up.

Yeah its really common to put 03+ crank in 02. Look at it this way...now you have the more common crank in your 02 and don't have to worry about that spindly little 10mm fww end getting buggered up.

Yep, now I just need to find the GYTR flywheel instead.  

Are all GYTR flywheels heavier than stock?  I have found some GYTR flywheels out on the webs, but sometimes they don't specifically say that they are heavier?  And were there different weights for the GYTR flywheels?

Just one weight last time i checked.

Pretty easy to spot...pic.

Lots of people claim it to feel like an 11oz steahly due to how the weight is distributed. Feels a little lighter than that to me.

DSC01550.jpg

Edited by SellYour4Stroke

Yep, now I just need to find the GYTR flywheel instead.  

Are all GYTR flywheels heavier than stock?  I have found some GYTR flywheels out on the webs, but sometimes they don't specifically say that they are heavier?  And were there different weights for the GYTR flywheels?

If in fact you have and are building a bike with a 03 up crank, have the stock flywheel, I have an 04 that came with a FWW on it and need a stock because of the lighting coil I will be runing adds a FWW bolt on. PM me your number and we can talk. Straight trade with 02 FWW and flywheel for mine with weight on it. Only going to cost flat rate USPS.