Sign in to follow this  

Barnett clutch baskets w stainless inserts

6029B5B7-3632-4546-98E6-7CAE597260C5_zps

Yes, the stainless inserts will wear out. This basket has about 100 hrs on it- '05 CR250.

E774F22A-595B-402A-A586-35121B3C1D44_zps

The good news is that for $25, Barnett will replace the stainless inserts and ship your basket back to you. Its almost like getting a completely new basket for $25. This is the same basket as in top photo.

Edited by APBT
  • Like 1

100 hours isn't much. IS that a gen 1 or gen 2 basket? They updated the SS on the gen 2 version, the gen 1's wore out too fast with the cheap SS.

This is actually the second time this basket has been back to Barnett for rework. The first time was at 70 hrs since new, this time 100 hrs since first rework.

We specifically inquired about the Gen1 vs Gen2 stainless durability issues. Barrett's response was that any basket arriving for rework would be retrofitted w Gen2 stainless irrespective of original design. So, it appears that the worn inserts in the photo are actually Gen2.

We are uncertain as to whether the basket was originally Gen1 or Gen2. Barnett was unable/unwilling to verify by part number cross reference 321-35-01004.

However, for a $25 charge w return shipping included, it's really not a bad deal. To your point, they should probably be performing this work without any charge.

They are the only clutch baskets that I use. I use them with an auto clutch, and they do not put nearly as much stress on the basket as a manual clutch does. I get well over 100 hrs out of the inserts before they need to be replaced. I just ordered a new Barnett basket for an 07' Suzuki rm250 that I just bought as a winter project.

Dam, you must be very hard on a clutch to have it in that shape after 100 hours. I get a lot more than that out of them doing MX even with the crappy stock basket. I have a stock one with 150 hours that is still very nice.

Dam, you must be very hard on a clutch to have it in that shape after 100 hours..

You're probably right. This bike gets ridden predominantly on a relatively tight outdoor track. The emphasis during the track design was to pack as much track length as possible into the limited amount of available acreage. There is one section that can accommodate 5th gear. The rest is a 3rd and 4th gear track. So, my left hand has developed an affinity for that clutch lever.....

Edited by APBT

Have any of you guys find these steel insert clutch baskets to be a bit noisy? When I installed mine the motor now makes a chattering noise, I even took it all apart and re-did it to make sure I didn't make any mistakes. I'm also using all steel clutch plates so that might have something to do with it too.

Have any of you guys find these steel insert clutch baskets to be a bit noisy? When I installed mine the motor now makes a chattering noise, I even took it all apart and re-did it to make sure I didn't make any mistakes. I'm also using all steel clutch plates so that might have something to do with it too.[/quot

I have used steel clutch plates in all of my bikes with the Barnett baskets. I don'remember any of them making anymore noise than the Oem baskets they replaced.

No noise issues here. Have used both the aluminum/steel stock Honda setup, and all steel. No noise in either case.