Sign in to follow this  

Just bought a 2009 KTM 450 XCF

So I just picked up a 09 XCF from a guy off craigslist. Pretty good deal on it but the whole KTM thing is new to me as it is the first one I've owned. Reading up on this years model the radiator boiling over seems to be the problem most people have. The guy I bought it from had a new water pump impeller put on, will that do the trick to keep it from boiling over or should I invest in one of the cooling fans I hear work pretty well. Anything else to look out for on these bikes? Also what other year KTM will have parts that'll fit this bike, is it '08-'10? ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1452979576.186031.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1452979601.337320.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1452979615.437173.jpg

Why don't you just ride it for awhile before you start throwing money at a problem that might not exist.  Being an 09 I'd imagine the po's got the bugs worked out of it by now.  Focus on good maintenance like greasing up all the bearings and stuff like that. 

A cooling fan is a must for slower riding. A computer fan for $5-10 will do the job and not drain your battery like the ktm fan will if it runs too much. 2008-11 parts will fit.

There were also problems with oil migration on the xc4's. It's not uncommon for people to merge the sumps on those bikes.

Ignore Dirteta's comment on oil migration. That is in regards to the dual sump SOHC 450/530 engine (XC4), not your single sump DOHC RF4.

Chassis parts are the same with 07-10 SXF/XCFs and 08-11 EXC/XCWs.

Engine parts are the same with 07-12 450 SXF/XCF (different from 12.5 450 Factory Edition with EFI) and the 450 Rally up to 2014.

Cooling can be an issue. Simple fact is this bike isn't happy going slow like the XCWs.

A larger impeller kit (KTM Powerparts and others) with a catch tank can cure most problems however the larger impeller kits can have clearance issues with the stock headpipe (a small well placed dent fixes this).

A fan is the ultimate cure. Computer fans will work, but are not waterproof and will come apart. It is only a matter of time. Trail Tech fan kit is probably the most bullet proof. If you have an IMS tank, you cannot use most fans. Stock, Clockwork, Acerbis, and Clarke tanks will all work with any fan kit.

• Helpful 1

Good looking bike. Looks well maintained. XCFs are basically SXF with some off road parts, so they perform best are speed. Low speed super tech trails will require a fan of some type. You can get a higher wattage stator, add a fan and even a headlight, and you won't have to worry about it.

old post I know but I have the same bike and just put a ktm cooling fan on mine.....hasn't boiled over since, I previously threw a Lithium batt on and haven't had any problem with batt drain

• Like 1