Sign in to follow this  

Honda engine swap

I've got a 1996 cr125 without an engine. I got a buddy that can get me one from a 1996 cr250 really cheap from a bike he parted out. Looking at the two frames the same year and everything will a 1996 250 engine fit in a 1997 cr125 chassis. It's the steel round tubes chassis. Obviously the electronics and such will be different.

I've got a 1996 cr125 without an engine. I got a buddy that can get me one from a 1996 cr250 really cheap from a bike he parted out. Looking at the two frames the same year and everything will a 1996 250 engine fit in a 1997 cr125 chassis. It's the steel round tubes chassis. Obviously the electronics and such will be different.

Not without heavy modifications to the cradle.

Looking at the part numbers the 1996 cr125 cradle part number is (50090-kz4-A10ZA) the part number for the 1996 cr250 is (50090-KZ3-A10ZA). Apparently the fist set of numbers is the actual number of the frame. The swingarm had matching part numbers also. What's different then about the cr250 chassis, is it longer, wider, taller????

Generally the lower frame tubes are curved different and the mounts are moved for the 250. Maybe grab the 250 engine and see for yourself

Looking around online a company makes a kit that converts a cr125 into a cr500! I mean, if a cr500 engine can be fit into a cr125 then a cr250 engine should fit. The kit says there is no cutting or welding required. Besides the exhaust, front four mounts, the cr250 should fit in right?

I noticed the slight difference. If the complete engine is cheap enough is it worth it to cut it up and weld the chassis different AND IS IT SAFE TO DO.

If you are confident in your welding skills and have a welder then absolutely. It should be no big deal if you have the time and tools.

It's easier with the steel frame than the aluminum one and people build those all the time

If your buddy has an engine from a partout wouldn't he also have the frame that the engine came from? If so why wouldn't you use his frame and engine with your remaining components?

• Like 1

Are all the parts transferable. Will plastics, tires, etc. transfer over from the cr125 to the 250 frame?? I'm f so Does that mean I could get the engine and frame and transfers the rest over.

All of the plastics, airbox, seat, and gas tank will transfer directly to the 250 frame. You may need the radiators from the 250 though.

Edited by frdbtr

How about picking up a frame instead of creating an unfinished "project"

Work smarter, not harder.