Sign in to follow this  

Need your 450X expertise

Hi everyone. New to the forum. I'm looking at getting a dirt bike again after being without for about 10 yrs. There is an 05 450X for sale on Craigslist that is about a 3 hr drive for me. He claims only 400 miles on it, but about half the finish on the clutch cover is wore down to bare aluminum. That's only about 10 gallons of gas! And has new tires on it. I use to race MX in the 90s, and you would be putting new tires on after 10 gal of gas! (Unless free.) What do you think? Is he full of bologna? Any thing I should look for if I do make the drive? I know about the 3rd gear oil problem in 05.

Thanks. I've already learned a lot about this bike from reading your posts.

Edited by DirtyBeers

Last fall I got a 250x for my son and got the same story. It's B'S and I told them so. The guy I bought from was the second owner and was basing his story on what he was told. Or that's his story to me anyway. So I called B'S on the story and told him what I was going to pay based on the number of hours I believed it had. It had different exhaust, sprockets, chain, tires ... almost everything. Take the visual cues you see and base your decision on your best guess. Go with you gut on this one. It can still be a good deal but know it has more hours than he's saying.

That's what I was thinking, harkon, thanks. I forgot to mention there are new sprockets and chain too. But... I guess he might not have liked the final drive ratio... Maybe

He has a set of spiked ice racing tires for it too which worries me. I've never owned spiked tires, but I know riding in snow and ice is hard on engines from the high rpms from wheel spin. I don't know maybe not worth the drive.