Sign in to follow this  

Exc500 6 days vs husky 501

I did a Google search to try to find out the differences between the 2016 years. The results where the engines were the same but I find that hard to believe since the husky does not have a kick starter just an electric start. The husky seems to be 7 pounds heavier but I didn't see what causes it to be. Other then that they seem the same. I was hoping someone had a good link to a side by side. Or knows these bikes well enough to break them down. I not opposed to a regular exc500 as I had an exc350 that I sold yesterday and loved. I just wanted the larger engine.

Thanks,

Chris

I don't know why it would be heavier, but one big difference is that the 501 has rear linkage suspension.

Both have 4CS forks...

Edited by cadman_ks

Different sub frame also including linkage. The only motor difference is the Husky has a thicker head gasket, supposedly for longevity..  However the Husky has a lighter rear spring, being linked and no kick start(you'd think that would add up to something). The forks might be where some of the added weight is also.

• Like 1

I don't know why it would be heavier, but one big difference is that the 501 has rear linkage suspension.

Both have 4CS forks...

I thought the 6 days has rear linkage, the traditional exc doesn't? Thanks for the quick reply to both of you guys. Edited by callen8365

I thought the 6 days has rear linkage, the traditional exc doesn't? Thanks for the quick reply to both of you guys.

The six days has pds,, but the two items that really interest be on the 6 days, is the rear rotor, and the rad guards.   Both I intend to get for my exc sometime or another. I like the steel tube ones for the side protection.

another thing, both bikes could be identical in weight, you cant believe ktms reported numbers , and any print on their web site has to be verified

The six days comes with extra goodies, heavier rear rotor, steel rad guards, different forks, Im sure that adds a couple pounds, but shows the same exc weight, that seems odd.

Edited by Spud786

Different sub frame also including linkage. The only motor difference is the Husky has a thicker head gasket, supposedly for longevity..  However the Husky has a lighter rear spring, being linked and no kick start(you'd think that would add up to something). The forks might be where some of the added weight is also.

I cross referenced that head gasket part number a year ago when I purchase my 15 500 xcw to see if it was true and unless something changed since a year ago the head gasket part number is identical to the exc, xcw, and regular 501. supposedly the rear sub frame does weigh more than the ktms and the extra dog bone for the linkage at the bottom of the shock might add minimal weight?? I would guess most normal riders would be hard pressed to tell the difference in weight.

Edited by r6realtor

Its  the 2015 501 S model  , that had the thicker gasket, the regular 501 should have the same gasket as the ktm. Ive tried to cross reference myself, but finding Husky parts info is not easy.

I was alerted to this through Magazine test article on the Huskies in 2015, another difference the 350(S model )Husky has a heavier crank assembly over the KTM 350 to smooth power output.

Edited by Spud786

Yeah its the same on the 501s as well, thats what i was trying to say. Munn racing has all the part numbers for all ktm/husky, pretty sure thats where i found it last time??

Yeah its the same on the 501s as well, thats what i was trying to say. Munn racing has all the part numbers for all ktm/husky, pretty sure thats where i found it last time??

Ive looked at the cranks , the flywheels, base and head gaskets, and you are right.

Ill find that article that mentions those items

Ive looked at the cranks , the flywheels, base and head gaskets, and you are right.

Ill find that article that mentions those items

I read that the husky has a thicker head gasket. But it is good to know these bikes are very similar.

Quote"""""The Husqvarna FE 350 S is powered by the same dual over-head cam engine as the off-road enduro FE 350 (and KTM EXC) with a slightly heavier crankshaft for improved traction. The FE 501 S engine is the same as the off-road FE 501 (and KTM 500 EXC) but uses a three-layer head gasket for smoother power delivery and even more durability. The FE 350 S and 501 S also use the damped diaphragm steel (DDS) clutch. Both come with a temperature-controlled electric radiator fan, meaning you won’t be breathing steaming coolant when the speeds get slow and terrain gets ugly.""""

It was the dirtrider.com 2015 350 501s article,,   alittle bizarre compared to parts fiche huh?

http://www.dirtrider.com/features/2015-husqvarna-fe501s-fe350s-first-ride/

Definitely weird not sure why they would claim that? But when i was shopping between the 2 i was like hey i want the one with thicker head gasket for longevity lol but after looking at the parts fiche i was like what the heck??

Edited by r6realtor

I have been a true blue husky fanatic since 1986. I got a ktm 500 exc this time around.

My reasons where..

Countless threads on how to fix the 4cs forks on the husky

No kick starter(even though I ever never once used it on my ktm)

No wanting to deal with linkage maintenance. My previous bike was a husky with linkage and it was a great suspension but living in a wet conditions means more stuff to stay on top off.

After having my husky and now having my KTM I forget how refreshing it is to have lots and lots of aftermarket options. They are there for the new husky but tons and tons for the KTM.

My stock suspension on my KTM is better than my old husky was after I spent $1000 on it.

Both are awesome bikes. Garanteed I probably will go husky next time around.

Standard 500exc does not have 4CS forks, only the 501 and six days model do. You can't really go wrong either way. I prefer linkage over PDS. The colors look cool on the husky, I have a husky chain saw.. Umm... That's about it lol

Standard 500exc does not have 4CS forks, only the 501 and six days model do. You can't really go wrong either way. I prefer linkage over PDS. The colors look cool on the husky, I have a husky chain saw.. Umm... That's about it lol

This is correct, only the KTM 500 Six Days this years has the 4C forks - the standard 500 is still OC.

Rumor is the 17 KTM EXCs will still be PDS/OC so I am happy, way more negative reports about the 4Cs and I am totally happy with the standard 500 front end.

This is correct, only the KTM 500 Six Days this years has the 4C forks - the standard 500 is still OC.

Rumor is the 17 KTM EXCs will still be PDS/OC so I am happy, way more negative reports about the 4Cs and I am totally happy with the standard 500 front end.

Any rumors on the motor for '17?

Any rumors on the motor for '17?

this is what i am waiting to hear about as well. would love to have that new motor in a 500exc.

• Like 1

FWIW - I read and I am told that the motors for the most part are the same on the two brands post Austrian acquisition where you can get a direct correlation from FE to EXC, for example.  I would suggest an influential point to consider would be if your dealer has both brands.  I am finding many of the Husky dealers today are unfamiliar with what is now common knowledge on items in a KTM shop.  For example, walk into KTM and ask about the 300 expansion chamber - they'll know it's the same across year X to year X.  Husky dealers without KTM (my experience) don't have the tribal knowledge yet.  KTM dealers are also not allowed to buy certain part numbers so you'll have to go to Husky even if you don't have a dealer close.  Just a thought.

I own a lot of KTM product so don't get me wrong, I'm not a hater.  But, KTM doesn't treat it's dealer network well nor does it treat it's customer base well.  That might not be that different from any other manufacturer come to think of it!  Example is Husky dealers get their product in small qty's in comparison and in many cases well after KTM dealers so they are constantly on their heels with product landing late and having to discount in (nearly) just delivered models.  Not how I would treat my franchise fee paying dealers.  It can be a good buying leverage for us in the market when the KTM's are starting to mark down product and Husky just got theirs.  As a customer of the Berg name, KTM refuses to allow KTM shops to sell Berg part numbers.  Somehow I can't seem to reconcile how that shows appreciation for customer loyalty?  I've had the dealer ask the question and you can guess there is always a deafening silence by KTM.

So, it seems apparent KTM is more driven to support their staple brand.

A comment on the technology -  linkage versus PDS.  It's why I bought into the '15 Husky line.  You can have both wide ratios and an more tuneable suspension on the rear - or so I am told by those who say they are the suspension guru's.  

All of this my $.02.  Probably worth what it's stated value is and what you paid for it!

Edited by Captn Kirk