Sign in to follow this  

Slow turnover speed, won't start

2006 husky smr510 with fresh 530bb top end, new cam chain, tensioner, sliders, new valves/guides/seats.

Bought the bike with dropped valves, fresh rebuild, flushed the bottom end out and retrieved all the debris out the motor. Fresh head, cylinder, piston, new JD jet kit, etc. Started the bike fresh after rebuild, cranked right up, ran great for the first 500miles. No issues. About a week later starter getting harder to start. Engine turns over super slow, cranks at normal speed with decomp pulled a little, but she doesn't start anymore.

Replaced starter clutch, and just rebuilt the starter, fresh battery, still same. Jumper cables to truck battery (not running) same turn over speed. Like a dying battery speed...building a kicker set up now, going to see if a solid kick will get her going, but if that doesn't do it....I'm at a complete loss.

Any ideas? I've tried starting it dipping it to the right side in case the auto decomp Spring on the exh cam was shot (read that off cafe husky) but no luck.

Matches and some gasoline are coming to mind, I'm that frustrated!!!

2006 husky smr510 with fresh 530bb top end, new cam chain, tensioner, sliders, new valves/guides/seats.

Bought the bike with dropped valves, fresh rebuild, flushed the bottom end out and retrieved all the debris out the motor. Fresh head, cylinder, piston, new JD jet kit, etc. Started the bike fresh after rebuild, cranked right up, ran great for the first 500miles. No issues. About a week later starter getting harder to start. Engine turns over super slow, cranks at normal speed with decomp pulled a little, but she doesn't start anymore.

Replaced starter clutch, and just rebuilt the starter, fresh battery, still same. Jumper cables to truck battery (not running) same turn over speed. Like a dying battery speed...building a kicker set up now, going to see if a solid kick will get her going, but if that doesn't do it....I'm at a complete loss.

Any ideas? I've tried starting it dipping it to the right side in case the auto decomp Spring on the exh cam was shot (read that off cafe husky) but no luck.

Matches and some gasoline are coming to mind, I'm that frustrated!!!

Have you tried pulling the spark plug and cranking the engine without compression? That would help isolate whether it's cranking slowly due to mechanical binding of the engine. You could also turn the engine over with the spark plug removed by turning the rear wheel by hand with the bike in the top gear. It would be a good opportunity to check your compression with a gauge, too. But your comment regarding the decompression lever making a difference means that it has some compression. But I'd check it to make sure it's building normal pressures. If it's not, pull your valve adjuster covers and recheck your valve clearances. Not sure, but you may be able to see the auto decompression spring through the valve cover opening? BTW, did you check your piston ring cylinder clearances (end gaps) before fitting the new piston and cylinder?

Hard to tell by that video. Did it feel like there was any binding? There will be some resistance, of course, from the valve train, piston ring friction, etc. Did you try to crank it with the starter with the spark plug removed?

Did you check to make sure all of your connections in the entire starter circuit were clean and tight? A poor connection elsewhere than the battery could cause it to crank slowly even with a good battery or jumper cables. Since you had the engine apart, perhaps there's a loose ground cable or strap somewhere?

No binding while rotating the eng. Cranked motor with no plug and she rotates at high rpm, as expected/normal.

I went through the harness prior to having this issue, I did a DC conversion...having no issue with the harness. If I bypass and go straight to the starter, same issue.

I actually got the bike running last night. Lots of feathering of the decomp lever, and throttle twisting to finally get her to cough and eventually start. Runs great, idles smoothly, throttle response is crisp and the bike sounds like a beast, and it is. Maybe the starter is just shot. All I did with the "rebuild" was replace brushes, cleaned it up, took light sandpaper to the copper, and called it good. The bearings were fine, and re lubricated.

Also, when the bike coughed(almost a start), the starter would seize(not crank over motor). I just put it in gear and rock the bike to move internals and put it in neutral and try again. I have replaced the starter clutch as if two weeks ago...it has 0miles on it. So I know that's not the case. Just another hint that tells me the starter is shot.

• Like 1

Well, that's good news! No engine teardown required! It's easy to suspect/assume something worse after major mechanical work. Sounds like you're on the right track. There may be some shorted windings in the starter.

Let us know if the replacement of the starter is the final fix!

It was a bad starter. Got a starter for a Yamaha 600, swapped end caps for mounting purposes and all was good! $20 at a local motorcycle scrap yard!

• Like 1