Sign in to follow this  

Help with new GAERNE boots!

hey guys, brand new here but have browsed the forums many times before. My names Kyle, and wanted to go to these forums for a couple question about my new boots I bought from gaerne because gaerne has no forums :( 

well Ive been riding for about 9 years and racing for 8 or so. decided for finally spoil myself on a really nice pair of boots because I wanted something better and longer lasting... I read ALMOST 100% great reviews of the gaernes, everyone loves them. soooo...

I bought the BRAND new 2016 SG12.... top of the line, brand spanking new, and got a GREAT deal on them at 460 bucks I think... almost 200 bucks off for brand new boots! box and tags and everything... all because ebay rocks 👍

anyway, I wear a size 11 in just about everything else, and my size 10  sixsixone's where getting tight but still very dealable.... so I figured I would get the size 11 gaerne (even after reading sooo many people say they run big and to get a size smaller....) shoulda heeded their warnings :(

the whole boot fits great, except my toes are pretty damn loose, as in, I can wiggle them up and down, and if I slide my foot as far as I can upward (with boot strapped) I can just barely feel the end of the boots. ofcourse I was a dummy headok the tags off before I really walked in them a lot thinking they where gonna be OK since everything I wear is an 11... so returning them to the owner is debatable even though I haven't even rode in them once :(

so basically, the boot itself feels fine, the straps are 3/4 the way out to be tight, so they are close to the end of their gripping, and the width of the boot is flot out perfect (because I have a wide foot, it works out) just my toes are loose, and seems the box inside their if a little open and its hard to feel the shifter, and I can move my feet a little inside the boot, which is not at all what im used to... im used to when I move my foot, the boot comes with it because its tight, know what I mean?

I read that boots should fit like gloves, snug by not too tight and that's what im used to... if I size down to a 10 should I expect a little tighter toe box so my foot cant move around as much? ( I have a quarter to half in room inside right now.)

also, if I get size smaller boots, will the side of the boot still fit, and the leg of the boot OK because the straps and the boot width are perfect, only the toebox is loose :banghead:

and lastly, kinda a different topic, but still same boot,... the boots are comfortable, but VERY stiff. made of primarily plastic as opposed to most boots being like a leather substance... im sure plastic is more protective but seems very stiff and not very flexible (which worries me because I cannot feel my brake or shift lever very well! lol) im sure decent break in period will make these boots more supple right? im sure my feet not fitting can supplement this uncomfortable feeling, but im not too sure. ive always had cheaper boots which feel thin and flexible and break in easy, will these boots break in? cuz I read online that gaernes barely need any time at all to break in...

I just want some opinions from anyone if possible and some helpful info because these boots just don't feel right and with all the money involved I am kinda disappointed because I read EVERYONE loves them.  

thanks everyone 🙂

I absolutely love my sg12s. The toe box on mine feel big, and I even have big feet.

They are stiff though, but do you really want a boot that'll let your foot twist around? I feel much more protected in my sg12s because they don't allow alot of flex.

I absolutely love my sg12s. The toe box on mine feel big, and I even have big feet.

They are stiff though, but do you really want a boot that'll let your foot twist around? I feel much more protected in my sg12s because they don't allow alot of flex.

no your absolutely right... and even just from walking around a little bit making sure to stretch them out they seemed to supple up a tad. haven't done much tho because im considering buying a 10 and trying to sell these. I have biting the bullet, but I feel I need a smaller size! 

so the roomy toe box doesn't bother you with shifting? would u happen to know if going down one size would be a big difference? I hope I don't but a ten and be too small! LOL this is why I wish there was a gaerne dealer near me

so the roomy toe box doesn't bother you with shifting? would u happen to know if going down one size would be a big difference? I hope I don't but a ten and be too small! LOL this is why I wish there was a gaerne dealer near me

Doesn't bother me personally, and I've also heard other people on here talking about the roomy toebox.

Wouldn't know about the sizing, I've only had one pair, and like you don't have a dealer nearby.

Doesn't bother me personally, and I've also heard other people on here talking about the roomy toebox.

Wouldn't know about the sizing, I've only had one pair, and like you don't have a dealer nearby.

yeah guess ill get used to it... just hope a size down aint too much! haha ill probably buy the next size down, keep the size I have now, and sell the ones that fit least best

You can try a pair of riding socks and see if that helps. I'm the same way though, I like my boots snug with zero ability to lift my heels. 

All boots fit differently, I need a size 11 in everything except Gaerne and Alpinestars... I take a 10 in those. 

Same issues with regards to the sizing. I wear an 11 in most shoes but really wish I could have a 10.5 in gaernes cause the 10s are too small. Try an insert on the footbed. You can get different thicknesses and should be able to find one you like. It will help snug up the foot area and won't change the leg size at all. Give the new boots some break in time. I just had my gaernes resoled and they feel like different boots. I know they will get to where I want them to be after a month of good riding though. Try the inserts and see if it gets you close to were you want to be. They are pretty cheap and found in most Walgreens type stores. It's an easier short term, cheap alternative to sending them back and getting the 10s. If it doesn't work then you are only out a few dollars for the inserts. Just remember that boots are like helmets, the good ones are worth the money but also everyone has preferences. Just because I like a Bell doesn't make you wrong for liking a Shoei.

The idea of trying some slightly thicker socks is a good one.  My boots are probably like a 1/4 size too big, I wear a pair of Carhart work boot socks over a thin polypropylene sock and its perfect.

Same issues with regards to the sizing. I wear an 11 in most shoes but really wish I could have a 10.5 in gaernes cause the 10s are too small. Try an insert on the footbed. You can get different thicknesses and should be able to find one you like. It will help snug up the foot area and won't change the leg size at all. Give the new boots some break in time. I just had my gaernes resoled and they feel like different boots. I know they will get to where I want them to be after a month of good riding though. Try the inserts and see if it gets you close to were you want to be. They are pretty cheap and found in most Walgreens type stores. It's an easier short term, cheap alternative to sending them back and getting the 10s. If it doesn't work then you are only out a few dollars for the inserts. Just remember that boots are like helmets, the good ones are worth the money but also everyone has preferences. Just because I like a Bell doesn't make you wrong for liking a Shoei.

Where did you get yours resoled? I need mine resoled and I'm just wondering if you did it with a Moto specific sole shop, or just a local store?

Combination. I had a moto shop (Peformance in Denver, love those people, really helpful) order the soles and then went to a high end cobbler off of Performances recommendation. Double checked with the cobbler that they had prior experience with moto boots. Boots turned out great and should extend the life another couple/few years. The soles ran about $35 and the repair work ran about $40. Way better than several hundred dollars for a new pair of a high end boots. Again, Gaernes with a a stitched on sole. I don't wear a Tech 10 style, glued sole so I don't know if those can be replaced.

I've had cowboy boots resoled a few times and they tend to not take new soles very well after about 2 replacements because the leather wears out and has too many holes from the repeat stitching. I don't know if this is the case as well with moto boots but wanted to put that out there as well. It's a concern of mine but I don't have any info to back it up.

Long winded but I hope it helps.

Edited by Splat03
  • Like 1

Stuff a Dr. Scholls gel pad in them. Will fit better and you will feel much less vibration thru the pegs. ALL boots are stiff new, give them time. I'm on my third pair of Gaerne's and always get them one size smaller.

hey guys, brand new here but have browsed the forums many times before. My names Kyle, and wanted to go to these forums for a couple question about my new boots I bought from gaerne because gaerne has no forums :(

well Ive been riding for about 9 years and racing for 8 or so. decided for finally spoil myself on a really nice pair of boots because I wanted something better and longer lasting... I read ALMOST 100% great reviews of the gaernes, everyone loves them. soooo...

I bought the BRAND new 2016 SG12.... top of the line, brand spanking new, and got a GREAT deal on them at 460 bucks I think... almost 200 bucks off for brand new boots! box and tags and everything... all because ebay rocks 👍

anyway, I wear a size 11 in just about everything else, and my size 10 sixsixone's where getting tight but still very dealable.... so I figured I would get the size 11 gaerne (even after reading sooo many people say they run big and to get a size smaller....) shoulda heeded their warnings :(

the whole boot fits great, except my toes are pretty damn loose, as in, I can wiggle them up and down, and if I slide my foot as far as I can upward (with boot strapped) I can just barely feel the end of the boots. ofcourse I was a dummy headok the tags off before I really walked in them a lot thinking they where gonna be OK since everything I wear is an 11... so returning them to the owner is debatable even though I haven't even rode in them once :(

so basically, the boot itself feels fine, the straps are 3/4 the way out to be tight, so they are close to the end of their gripping, and the width of the boot is flot out perfect (because I have a wide foot, it works out) just my toes are loose, and seems the box inside their if a little open and its hard to feel the shifter, and I can move my feet a little inside the boot, which is not at all what im used to... im used to when I move my foot, the boot comes with it because its tight, know what I mean?

I read that boots should fit like gloves, snug by not too tight and that's what im used to... if I size down to a 10 should I expect a little tighter toe box so my foot cant move around as much? ( I have a quarter to half in room inside right now.)

also, if I get size smaller boots, will the side of the boot still fit, and the leg of the boot OK because the straps and the boot width are perfect, only the toebox is loose :banghead:

and lastly, kinda a different topic, but still same boot,... the boots are comfortable, but VERY stiff. made of primarily plastic as opposed to most boots being like a leather substance... im sure plastic is more protective but seems very stiff and not very flexible (which worries me because I cannot feel my brake or shift lever very well! lol) im sure decent break in period will make these boots more supple right? im sure my feet not fitting can supplement this uncomfortable feeling, but im not too sure. ive always had cheaper boots which feel thin and flexible and break in easy, will these boots break in? cuz I read online that gaernes barely need any time at all to break in...

I just want some opinions from anyone if possible and some helpful info because these boots just don't feel right and with all the money involved I am kinda disappointed because I read EVERYONE loves them.

thanks everyone 🙂

I went through the same exact thing. I wanted Gaerne boots because my friends had them and they had a great reputation. I bought two pairs of SG10's. One size 10 and the other 11. Size 10 was just a little too short in the length and size 11 was to boxey in the toe. Meaning I could move my toes up and down more than I wanted to. I really didn't think I would be able to shift properly because there were so much movement before my toes even got to touching the boot to move it. I really wanted to like them but neither of the sizes fit very well. I tried shimming them with a thicker insole and extra socks but they still just didn't feel right. I returned them both and got a pair of Alpinestar Tech fives and they fit great right out of the box. Much happier! Comfy and snug, but not too tight. I would go and try on several different types of boots before you're beyond the point of being able to return the Gaernes. You may have gotten a great deal on them but that's still a lot of money to spend on a product that you're disappointed with.

thanks for all the helpful responses guys! really appreciate it... I went ahead and bought a size 10 aswell, so if that fits better ill keep it, if not ill try what u guys said with the size 11, and return whichever doesn't feel right 🙂

I actually like the big toebox.

But my new SG 11's push in on my big toe.  Should I return them?  I wore them around the house for an hour and they actually started to hurt the toe.  Anything I can do?  I like the boots otherwise.  Alpinestars fit me alot better, but their quality has dropped recently.  

Thanks!

I actually like the big toebox.

But my new SG 11's push in on my big toe.  Should I return them?  I wore them around the house for an hour and they actually started to hurt the toe.  Anything I can do?  I like the boots otherwise.  Alpinestars fit me alot better, but their quality has dropped recently.  

Thanks!

if it hurts your toe then ofcourse return them! I got a size down, and what a difference... I cold feel the end if I really pushed, and it was SNUG, but not at all tight: perfect fit.

maybe exchange for a size up?

EDIT: oh and BTW, I would stick with gaerne, they broke in just walking around the house for an hour or two, and from what I hear, they are super reliable and very protective... best boot out there. also, when the soles eventually wear out, since they are actual REAL stitching, you can get them resoled, as opposed to alpinestars are glued and you cannot.

Edited by Plow250

I wear size 9.5 Timberland boots (medium loose fit), but size 9 Gaerne SG10 is too tight! 10 is perfect, with some toe room in winter socks. The size 9s are barely okay for Summer with really thin socks. Still get a little bit of right pinky toe rub.

Great boots. Took about 10 minutes to break in.