Sign in to follow this  

How much fuel required?

Hi Guys.  I've got a trail ride coming up that I'm planning for.  It's on a four wheel drive sort of road/track where the average speed would be 25 to 30mph and quite a number of slower sections.  Looking on the map it's a bit hard to figure out exactly what distance the longest section is, as they don't show all the twists and curves.  But I'm thinking it's around 120 miles (200 kilometers).  On a stock XR 400 how much fuel will it take to complete this section?

If I survive it 😉 I'll post pic's.

Depends how you ride & what you have done to the bike but approximately a tank & a half to be safe.

. +1

Thanks Guys.  I'm playing the long game on this ride 🙄 no falling off, no drifties around corners, not much full throttle 🙂 just conserving fuel and enjoying the ride and scenery.  It's given me a basis to work on.  It was a bit hard to calculate because sometimes I'm amazed at how little gas it uses, but then 120 miles is a long ride on a dirt bike.

Maybe not a good comparison, but maybe this will give you an idea. I took my bike on a 200mi ride, with fuel stops along the way. A majority was run in 5th gear up with 14/45 sprockets. 3/4 of the trip was loafing along 30-55mph, but I did get after it and run hard in the fun stuff. 50% was hard pack, 40% sand or loose dirt, 10% pavement.

I averaged 34mpg overall. I have a 4g tank so my range is a lot more.

Full trip report here http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?107755-Laverkin-to-Page-by-dirt-Trip-Report&highlight=

Fuel stops (distance and quantity) listed at bottom of first post.

The pictures may or may not show for non-members (sorry if they don't), but the text is available.

I've gotten 90 miles out of the stock tank riding conservatively. So I'd say the tank and a half mentioned above is a safe assumption.

Wow, big ride going on there Boogie.  And thanks for the confirmation on fuel usage Trailryder.  The trail is very easy but long.  I think I'll err on the side of caution and carry a tiny bit more and that way I can do a few side trails too.

Thanks OZ.  I've changed the rear sprocket to 40T from 47T for this trip so it's easier to ride.  Plus it will survive the three hours of highway before I get there.  It looks like my riding buddy is not coming along so I'll need to be extra responsible and may take another 9 liters (about two US gal) with me to be on the safe side.

Also take a 14T for the front 15/40 is great on the road but it's a bit of a handful in the Bush

Good advice.

Where in Australia are you? Don't worry I won't come and stay 😉  I just like hearing about those long distance dirt road rides to Alice and beyond.