Sign in to follow this  

Which Knee Brace?

Had a recent ACL reconstruction and went for my first ride lately. Definitely got a little scared of dabbing and I feel that a knee brace (or set of them) will help.

To my dismay, I started looking and saw that I can spend anywhere from 300$ for a pair  (alpinestar fluid pro) to $1800 for the leatts.

I definitely want to know if the juice is worth the squeeze. I haven't had the ability to try on any knee braces so I wanted some opinions first.

1. Anyone have good experience with Alpinestar knee braces?

2. What are issues weve had with wearing knee braces over not?

Growing up, we never had all this great technology. Improved armor, ankle supported boots, neck braces, knee braces..these are all a huge help. I would recommend investing in a good gear kit. Good knee braces can be found around the 500USD price point. Pods are also decent. Do some hunting around. Plenty of reviews to reference.

Ask your surgeon about knee braces for riding. Insurance might pay for it. 

• Like 1

The best knee injury prevention available is a lighter weight bike!

Broad and responsive power combined with good suspension setup greatly reduces the need for a foot dab.

The expensive braces are a waste of money unless they protect against twisting joint movement.

I am using cheap hinged braces for sports authority right now. They are not great but they definitely help until I'm ready to spend the money for good ones. I personally will go for custom ones if I can get some help from my insurance

After my ACL tear and reconstruction, insurance paid for one DonJoy Armor, and I bought one for the other knee from Amazon for about $350. The place where I notice the braces helping the most is when holding the bike when I'm falling across the fall line on steep woods trails. Like when I put a foot down on the low side of a hill. Without the braces, I can definitely feel the knee flexing. No worries with the braces.

The DonJoys are awesome. Comfortable and highly effective.

Edited by Katzat

I second the posts by DentonC and Katzat;

Talk to your surgeon and have him prescribe them through the insurance. My Doc got me the DonJoys also. They are great and built for ACL injuries and are very tough. They even have a shin guard/knee cap protector built in. I ride with very little worry while wearing them.

Good Luck!

Edited by cpete

My insurance paid for CTi custom braces. The new ones are very light and have a redesigned patella cap.

I just needed a prescription from a GP. $3600 braces for free.

• Like 2

Hey man I recently purchased the asterisks ultra cell knee braces, they are great easy to take on and off, easy to adjust and get the proper fit. (It comes with a tweaker so you can fit it to your leg properly) and also has a boot attachment so any twisting of the knee will actual go to your hip which can rotate in ways your knee can't.

My only two negative things is one if chafes the back of my knee pretty bad even with the sleeve it comes with and two it did not come with the rivet for the boot attachment so that sucks! But I'm sure I can go buy some rivets at a local hardware store or something. Other than that it's great check out some reviews on it!

The expensive braces are a waste of money unless they protect against twisting joint movement.

I had a knee replaced and twisting is my fear/issue.

Mobius worked the best for me.  

Thanks for all the help.

I am in the Marines so the navy will not cover my knee braces. My particular surgeon doesn't like the idea of braces regardless. I asked him to prescribe me a sports brace when I began running, and he stressed to me that a sports knee brace would only not allow my quad and leg to re-strengthen, and further limit myself.

Anyone have experience with the Alpinestar fluid pro?

The pod k700 is awesome. I had some big bulky evs braces and they were uncomfortable, sold em on craigslist.

My insurance paid for CTi custom braces. The new ones are very light and have a redesigned patella cap.

I just needed a prescription from a GP. $3600 braces for free.

If your insurance covers it this is the only way to go.

If not, Mobius, Asterisk, or Pods are all good over the shelf options

If your insurance covers it this is the only way to go.

If not, Mobius, Asterisk, or Pods are all good over the shelf options

I ran Asterisk ultra cells before my CTi's and were very happy with them. Sold them to a buddy and he loves them.

I ran Asterisk ultra cells before my CTi's and were very happy with them. Sold them to a buddy and he loves them.

I did the same thing. Got some Ctis last spring and sold my asterisks to a friend and he loves them!

• Like 1

I got the mobius x8. They seem pretty awesome so far.

Edited by Jaslater

Cti/Ossur makes good off the shelf braces. I wore the 180's with a patella cup for years. I retired them after I got the Cti custom braces. The 180's are very reasonable price wise.

Edited by j368

I like the evs web pro knee braces.  I had the evs RS8 braces before and prefer the web pros.

Im selling some POD k300s if you are interested. I loved them, but im looking for a little more patella protection. Even though no braces would have kept me from breaking mine. Size xl