Sign in to follow this  

Float stuck?

Warmed the bike up on a loop around the block. Got geared up to go out for a ride, fired the bike up and went to take off and it died. Bike wouldn't start again and plenty of gas in tank and in carb as I let some run through the carb. Thinking the float may be stuck and assume I'll need to pull the carb completely out to confirm. Multiple twists on the throttle yielded no gas odor and not sure what else may be a likely cause.

Any other item I should go straight to?

Warmed the bike up on a loop around the block. Got geared up to go out for a ride, fired the bike up and went to take off and it died. Bike wouldn't start again and plenty of gas in tank and in carb as I let some run through the carb. Thinking the float may be stuck and assume I'll need to pull the carb completely out to confirm. Multiple twists on the throttle yielded no gas odor and not sure what else may be a likely cause.

Any other item I should go straight to?

Yes, the preventitive maintenece portion of your service manual... :jawdrop:

Could be dozens of things, but if your float were 'stuck', it would be stuck open due to corrosion on the float needle body and cavity, and gas would be pouring out of your over flow tube....

More likely debris in the pilot jet

Loosen the carb boots, rotate the carb, and pull the pilot jet out.

Thanks Krannie. I'll pull it tomorrow and take a look at it. I typically drain the carb after rides hoping to prevent carb issues but sh_t happens.

My wife's quad, with a Keihin FCR, actually had the float needle stuck in the CLOSED position. No gas would get to the bowl. Had to yank it apart with a pair of needlenose

• Like 1

I know these are different animals but if it just died, I'd find it tough to believe it's the carb. Fuel, air, compression and spark. Try a new plug. Had a RM250 once that of the plug fouled it wouldn't even cough.

Edited by harkon

Pulled and cleaned both the pilot and main jets which were actually looked good but it had no effect. This weekend I will remove the tank and check plug/coil wires and then pull the carb and start digging around in there if nothing else is obvious. I find it odd I don't even get a whiff of gas when twisting the throttle repeatedly but what the hell do I know. I'll give it a go and hopefully be reporting back after a short ride from the house or just be bitter and frustrated trying to figure it out. I appreciate the input.

Pulled the carb and cleaned all jets though they looked great. Checked the diaphragm and it was like new as well. Filled carb with gas and twisted the throttle and the spray also looked good. After testing the stator and coil I traced the issue to the damn spark plug boot or noise suppressor as it is referred to. Ordered a new one on line and should have it in a couple days and should be back in service. I never would've suspected that one.

I saw. Honda 150r spark plug wire/ coil go bad in the middle of a ride. No warning.

Yup, it happens.