Sign in to follow this  

Adding a switch?

Looking to add a momentary switch to my drz to control my garage door. Looking to be able to open it as I ride up to park it inside without have to take off my gloves to use our pin pad to open it.

Has anyone opened up the right side or left side switch housings? Is there enough room to add a tiny switch such as this one: http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/mpb-1b/spst-momentary-n.o.-black-pushbutton/1.html

I'm using an old garage remote that I popped open and it just has a tiny 4 prong switch soldered to the board. I was just going to remove it and attach 4 small wires that lead to a switch on the bars and hide the board under the seat so it does not get wet.

• Like 1

You are going to have to open up one of the control housings to see but my guess is - no, not enough room.

I have been in the left one (smashed it on a tree) and had to replace it, theres not much room. I love your idea, very James bond! Check out highway dirtbikes, they make some really nice switch mounts out of billet aluminum. Very nice stuff, This is a switch cluster I got from them for my xr project.

1453052847366.jpg

I would just drill a hole in the ignition cylinder plate.  

With a bit of patience and cable wrap, it'll look factory.

I read about a guy putting a switch for his heated grips there. it was super tight but i believe it was successful for him. I can't seem to find his post but here is a picture of of the switch he put in, this is on my bike but he used the same exact switch. 

post-393812-0-27603200-1438121575.jpg

Nice custom switch mount. A little hard on the brake hose.

Nice custom switch mount. A little hard on the brake hose.

It does gently run the brake hose but there is enough room where it isn't stressed one way or the other.

Danny:

Where did you get that switch plate? Looks very good!

Thanks, I had my little brother make me one in his CAD class at his high school a couple of years back.

Check out Happy Trails Dash Panel at www.happy-trail.com.

Ive had a momentary on/off garage door opener on me DRZ'ed for like 5 years now,  its great,  

xt65.jpg

xt62.jpg

xt64.jpg

xt63.jpg

xt66.jpg

xt67.jpg

/ive had it on me XT250 before i had the DRZ,  then i just transfered that set up to the drz,  on the DRZEE i have it on the headlight shroud,  right next to the on/off headlight switch i installed too,  the garage door opener is great.