Sign in to follow this  

2015 230f high rolling resistance

My son's 2015 230f has 11 hours ride time and while working on it I found it hard to push. The battery was dead and we were trying to bump start it.  It has an o-ring chain that we lube on the outside. The bike always seemed to not roll very easily.Pretty sure the brakes are not dragging but will check.  I'm wondering about the wheel bearings. Will this improve over time?  Seems like we will lose some performance if half the engine's power is being robbed by friction.  Anyone had experience with this?

Raise up bike completely off the ground and spin the wheels. Anything dragging?

Rear brake to tight? Chain to tight? Lack of chain lube? Try lubing chain on the inner side instead of on top of the chain. That way the lube has to go through the chain to fly off instead of flying off the outside before it even soaks in.

I use a "Non O'ring " chain on everything except my Sand Dunes only race quads

The rear wheel spins very freely with a well lubed Non O'ring chain.

Edited by adnohguy
  • Like 1

In the last 1 1/2 years I got 5 >4 230s/ 1 Crf150 as new used.None would roll easy.It was the chain.I used good chain foam type lube.They all now roll easy,took awhile.

On my vintage race 125 I spent hours eliminating all resistance I could. Went so far as trick wheel bearings with lightweight synthetic grease with proper bearing preloads etc. Special 428 race chain, perfect sprocket alignment even cables etc were perfect. Have had people freak out when they sit on or push my bike. This type prep not as important on a 50HP MX'r but when I spent 1000's trying to get the most out of my little SL125 every little bit helps.

• Like 4

Thanks for the excellent advice. I put it on the stand and sure enough, the original o-ring chain is as stiff as can be. I'm going to replace it with a non-oring chain.  Happy trails! 

Thanks for the excellent advice. I put it on the stand and sure enough, the original o-ring chain is as stiff as can be. I'm going to replace it with a non-oring chain.  Happy trails! 

You have to lube the chain each ride with non o ring. I hate lubing chains, it's always messy. o ringed chains last longer and require less maintenance and cleaning. Also make sure the chain isn't too tight (there is play up and down). Clean your chain with a plastic brush and wd-40 and then lube it with chain lube. wd-40 does not damage the o rings as many people believe. 

Edited by Yap Yap

IMHO:

The best there is... Does not fling off, no mess, no excessive build up.

Lube chain AFTER EVERY RIDE on the INSIDE of the chain, NOT on the top or outside and when chain/bike is warmed up and hot....soaks in better

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1453069494.230564.jpg

To each his own. It's a hot topic I know.

IMO

WD 40 is great after you wash/clean your bike only.

(Water Displacement)

• Like 1

You don't need new chain.Start lubing it.Or send it to me! Most of you guys lucky,you dont live in Baja.Non.oring chains/ Al rear sprocket.Does not make 300 miles,down here.Riding on the beach kills Um.

• Like 1

IMHO:

The best there is... Does not fling off, no mess, no excessive build up.

Lube chain AFTER EVERY RIDE on the INSIDE of the chain, NOT on the top or outside and when chain/bike is warmed up and hot....soaks in better

📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1453069494.230564.jpg

To each his own. It's a hot topic I know.

IMO

WD 40 is great after you wash/clean your bike only.

(Water Displacement)

It's also good for cleaning grime and previous lubes. Brake cleaner kills the o-rings. WD-40 is the best at removing oil/grease and cheap. I didn't say wd-40 was a chain lube. Use chain lube after you clean the chain with wd40, loosens up grime, removes the water, makes it ready for lube. I am only sharing my own experience you might know a better chemical/way to do this.

• Like 1

I support the opinion that WD40 is a good dirt bike cleaning agent as well as good for cleaning chains. After I wash the bike if I plan on doing a "detail" type cleaning then I will pull out the WD40 and go at it. It does a good job on the chain, is easy to get. Another good one is kerosene, cheaper than WD40. The important thing is to lube the chain once you're done. make sure to let the WD40 or kerosene fully dry and evaporate.