Sign in to follow this  

ktm jetting problems

hey guys, i have a 2000 ktm 200 exc that ive been trying to rejet. i havent been worried about it but im tired of scrubbing splooge off my swingarm and brake caliper. the bike doesn't foul plugs but the splooge is ridiculous. about a week ago when i had the bike apart i dumped like half a cup of the stuff out. i dont know the first thing about jetting or air/fuel mixture. i have a 42 pilot and 168 main, i ran the bike for a long time with an exhaust restriction that didn't allow it to get to powerband, could that have to do with the splooge? any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks guys

Yes, running with an exhaust restriction will definitely add to the splooge. Might be worth a fresh stast, repack your silencer, fresh fuel, and a clean air filter.

Set the air screw at 1.5 turns out and set your idle to a good steady rpm, a little faster that normal idle is good. Now slowly turn the air screw out in 1/4 turn increments and give the bike 30 seconds or so to adjust. keep doing this until you've reached the highest idle by adjusting the air screw only. If the fastest idle is at 1.5 turns out then turn the air screw in until you find that point. If your air screw is less than 1 turn out you need a larger pilot, if it's more than 2 or so out you need a smaller pilot. You want to land between 1 and 2 turns out generally. That will tune the air screw and pilot circuit which is in use throughout the entire throttle range.

Before fine tuning the jetting, you have to make sure everything else than can affect jetting is in good mechanical condition:

float height / fuel level

reeds not worn/chipped

fresh top end / good compression

crank seals aren't worn/damaged (do a pressure test)

proper premix ratio

premix oil better suited to trail riding (low flash point)

if any of the above have issues,

any effort in fine-tuning the jetting is pointless

If that's the stock 38mm carb that 168 main is LEAN, unless the exhaust was affecting it which it certainly could've, but opened up and at wfo I'd evict it to Fry in no time, be careful!

• Like 1

you need to re-pack the silencer, clean the PV, check the reeds, re-jet the carb, check the float level. These are all things I would do one at a time til it gets better. I would do the easy things first or the cheapest things first. The bike is known to have bad jetting. Needs a 7.0 or 6.5 slide, new single taper needle or JD kit, and new main to match the needle.

Edited by Mike in Fresno
  • Like 1

If near sea level a 42 pilot, 188 main jd blue middle clip is a very safe starting point.

I like mine 40 pilot, 192 main jd blue one clip leaner than center.

what temp elevation 2forty4

pilot should be right , just need air screw adjustment

maybe switch out the stock needle to a necj/nedj suzuki needle

the 200 i just done a top end on will be 50:1 with full synthetic premix oil