Sign in to follow this  

2015 KTM 500 EXC question?

I have a 2015 500 exc I just hit 2000 miles and 60 hrs yesterday. I have never changed my spark plug. So I pulled it out and looked at it and it's white Is this normal? I change my oil every 10-12hrs desmogged and tps set to .64. I have noticed since about 15 hours on bike while warming it up the first time you bump the gas you will see a little blue smoke but that's it. I have read that changing brand of oil will help seat rings but it didn't fix mine. Anyone have any ideas of what may be going on? Or should I just keep up maintenance and ride! Thanks

1453049238943.jpg

I have a 2015 500 exc I just hit 2000 miles and 60 hrs yesterday. I have never changed my spark plug. So I pulled it out and looked at it and it's white Is this normal? I change my oil every 10-12hrs desmogged and tps set to .64. I have noticed since about 15 hours on bike while warming it up the first time you bump the gas you will see a little blue smoke but that's it. I have read that changing brand of oil will help seat rings but it didn't fix mine. Anyone have any ideas of what may be going on? Or should I just keep up maintenance and ride! Thanks

Stock bike is definitely going to run a white plug (so that's normal).  If descreened even .64 will not change that  , plus unleaded fuels don't color much at all unless you are way over rich.   What shocked me, with even a modded Lead diet I was still getting a white plug. (just points out just how lean they are).

Really remapping is your best alternative to a cooler running motor and not as lean running motor, or a manual mapping tuner .

as far as the blue smoke , its not desirable, but your rings are probably seated as well as they are going to get at this point, are you having to add oil in between changes?

Ok that's good to hear on the plug. On the blue smoke issue I have had to add like a cap full of oil in between oil changes. But I'm gonna start watching it a little closer it could have my error when changing it. I always like to keep it on the top fill line in the window. I have noticed it drop to about half on the window but that's about the 10hr mark on the oil. But I guess if it is using a little on cold start ups not much I can do now lol.

Is the plug as white in person as it is in that pic? Or did the flash make it brighter? Burning any coolant? Still running with the smog equipment?

White can indicate lean running or burning coolant.

. But I guess if it is using a little on cold start ups not much I can do now lol.

Yeah, not until you rering, then let the motor come up to temp and ensure to put a good load on the motor in the first 50 miles excel and decel.    Course it could also be a valve guide seal leaking.  But only you would know if it was too babied in the early miles with the ring seating.

As Spud said, it's important to get a lot of good decel load on a bike to get the rings to set. Not just letting off the throttle while cruising around, it's more like downhill decel. 👍

Ok that's good to hear on the plug. On the blue smoke issue I have had to add like a cap full of oil in between oil changes. But I'm gonna start watching it a little closer it could have my error when changing it. I always like to keep it on the top fill line in the window. I have noticed it drop to about half on the window but that's about the 10hr mark on the oil. But I guess if it is using a little on cold start ups not much I can do now lol.

Has it had the same oil for 10 hrs? Or am I reading this wrong?

My '12 always smoked on startup until I replaced the valve seals a few weeks ago. Never worried about it.

That plug looks a bit lean to me. with the TPS set @ .64. I'd think about cleaning the injector, very easy to do.  

Has it had the same oil for 10 hrs? Or am I reading this wrong?

yea after I been running the oil for 10hr

My '12 always smoked on startup until I replaced the valve seals a few weeks ago. Never worried about it.

That plug looks a bit lean to me. with the TPS set @ .64. I'd think about cleaning the injector, very easy to do.

How do I clean the injector is there a thread on here showing how to. This is my first fuel injected bike.

I have never seen a plug that white. That would scare me if I pulled it out of my snowmobile (2 stroke)  for a 4 stroke that still looks really lean