Sign in to follow this  

AMA new sanctioned 2 stroke race series, what to expect for a beginner at 45yr old?

Hey everybody, I could use some advice...so to give ya some history. I'm 45 and new to mx. Got the bug and went out picked up a great 125sx got the suspension set, changed the pipe and practiced. So I came across this site that is having a 2 stroke series race. Ok so now I'm curious! I've never raced, don't really know what to expect, haven't even signed up and yet already excited and nervous. Should I go for it??? Fun factor alone sounds worth it??? Skills wise I'd be happy just to see the checker flag instead of a stretcher hahaha. Not so hot with jumps and really focus more on throttle, clutch, and body position... Any ideas or suggestions would be awesome! Thanks

Fun factor alone sounds worth it???

Skills are over rated.  Go for it.

Besides that, most people in the sport always welcome new people.  Go, show up early, let people know it's your first race, and ask for help.

Age is not a factor, unless you're between the ages of 3-12.

Edited by speedtoad
  • Like 1

Thanks, I can't wait to try! I'm kind of competitive and wondering what it's like? The race will be held at thunder valley here in Colorado. It's a stuff track!

To the OP - Is the 125SX a 2016?

Reason I'm asking is that my buddy recently traded is 2015 350SX-F for a 2016 150SX (for a number of reasons) and if the new 125SX is anything like the 150SX you've go an AWESOME light fast machine.

Otherwise I'm not into racing but I'm 55 and just got back into dirt biking 6 years ago. I'm still fairly physically fit and and on a good day when I'm trail riding FAST with my younger friends and when I get out front I can usually smoke them 🙂 but I do know my limitations

Really and IMO dirt biking in general is about 50/50 mental/physical but go into it with the attitude of having fun.

Just ride within your skill set and have fun, afterall that's wht we all ride moto. If you psych yourself up and try to go out and win you'll just pump up and likely wreck. The first time I raced was the Idaho City 100, off the start I tried to go 90-100% and didn't even get to 1/4 point before crashing and destroying my bike. Went back two years later and just rode for fun and only layed it down once in 114 miles in a dumb corner when I hit neutral. Just go have fun!

• Like 3

The bike I'll be racing is a 2013 ktm 125 w/ fmf fatty, shorty pipe, suspension done by Matt at RG3, running mx 32 dunlops. Oh I'm sooo excited! Hahaha sound like a kid. Went last year to nationals at this track and watched to macs crash (ouch) don't plan on winning just want to finish really it's more riding the same track as the pros. The race isn't till July so plenty of time to get comfortable with track.

• Like 1

You got some good advice by the op posts stay in your comfort zone. Try to have your suspension set up for your weight it will be an enormous help. Practice practice practice.

you will want to join either SRAC or RMXA...RMXA is more Denver area so to speak...their classes of 30/40c are usually pretty good size. Join the AMA and your org of choice.

Hell yeah man go get get it!!! Just go out there and race your race don't really worry about the guys around you or behind you. If they are gonna pass you they will pass you just be consistent. Being that it's your first race and just for fun just go out there and have a good time I'm sure everyone there is there to have a good time, no one is out to get anyone lol I did my first race after owning my bike for a month and man am I glad I did it was a blast!! I have the go pro footage somewhere if your interested , any way if you have a go pro Def get some footage you'll be happy you did!

Also any advice I can give would be keep looking ahead of you a few bike lengths ahead try not to get caught looking just ahead of your front fender, just focus on you, body position like you said all that is very important, and whatever you do don't look back or next to you even for a second. ..I did that in my first race causing me to miss a rut and go off the track leading to a stall having me a nice game of catch up the rest of the race

I will second the "don't look back". Most crashes i have seen started by the new guy looking back thinking he would move out of somebodys way. A overtaking rider sized you up and decided to pass and the rider who think he is getting out of the way just turned that into a 50/50 crap shoot for a wreck.

​Just go have fun, chances are you will be spotted as the new guy by those who race all the time. Be careful it a addiction !

• Like 1

Some people seem to be naturals at anything.  Other people can't do the simplest things without understanding and practicing them.  But almost everyone can learn to do something well either being naturally good at it or through methodical learning and practice.  You could be either type.  

As long as it's a beginner race, give it a shot.  Maybe you're a natural who jumps on the bike and finishes in the top 10 in your first race.  But if you aren't that type of person don't let it get you down.  In either case ride within your limits and let the chips fall where they may.

I raced MX as a teen and didn't realize I'm the methodical slow learner type.  So I did a couple races and sucked horribly.  So badly I decided the sport wasn't for me and I gave it up (but continued to enjoy trail riding).  I regret that because now that I'm older, I know that I'm just not one of those natural talents but I am good at learning and practicing.   I started riding/racing mountain bikes 10 years ago.  Again I was terrible when I started but being older I stuck with it and learned.  Now trails that terrified me and were almost impossible to complete in my first year of riding are so easy they bore me to tears.

Your story and excitement tempt me to look into giving MX another shot at the ripe old age of 44.  Maybe I'll look into at least hitting a practice this year.

Edited by Doc_d

OP will have a great time in 40C, roll whatever jumps that are not appealing, etc. Most everyone in 40C realise the confines in which they exist on the track, so it is for fun. Better to be out riding than pecking away on TT.

Already practicing corners! And thank you everyone all the advice and support is being taken all in! Ride my race, don't look back, look far enough forward and above all and the most important I plan on having a blast! Oh and for the one gent who recommended the 250 as awesome as that would be to have....but if I can hone in my skills on my 125 the 250 will be even better but time and practice will let me know when I'm ready. You guys are great hope some day to see you on the gate!

• Like 1

I admit that I am not the MX type but in our series we do a GP style of woods racing that takes us to some MX track's during the year . Southwick is in the series, yes MX338. At first I wasn't all that excited about that but now after a few trip's to the Wick this is a must do.

​It's not about age or  CC it's more about getting in the right class. That way them guys who jump everything wide open don't land on those who don't.