Sign in to follow this  

Wrist pain after riding

I have a DRZ400S and after riding I always have aching wrist pain. If I do wheelies it hurts even worse at the end of a ride. I've tried different handlebars but nothing has helped so far. Any suggestions? Are there any exercises I can do or special gloves or a wrap that may help? Any help appreciated!

Did you try bars with varying sweep angle at the grips? Can make a big difference to wrist pain and forearm pump. Too much sweep ruins me.

I have a DRZ400S and after riding I always have aching wrist pain. If I do wheelies it hurts even worse at the end of a ride. I've tried different handlebars but nothing has helped so far. Any suggestions? Are there any exercises I can do or special gloves or a wrap that may help? Any help appreciated!

Do you get any pins/needles or numbness that excludes the pinky finger and half the finger next to it?

Did you try bars with varying sweep angle at the grips? Can make a big difference to wrist pain and forearm pump. Too much sweep ruins me.

Right now I have pro taper woods high. They had the most angle at the store I purchased them from. I thought maybe increasing the angle would help but so far it hasn't. Any suggestions on other bars to try?

Do you get any pins/needles or numbness that excludes the pinky finger and half the finger next to it?

No pins just aching in my right wrist joint. I had a skateboard injury a long time ago which may be part of the cause. However, that was a very long time ago and I've been riding my whole life. Just sold a yz450f (which never gave me wrist problems) and also sold a CBR600 (never gave me problems either). It only started with this DRZ.

I had some pains that made me wonder if I was getting carpal tunnel. Both arms, tingling sensation, numbness. It was either too much keyboard use, or golf. A friend recommended a copper bracelet under the caveat of it worked for him and others, if it doesn't work for you....you're out 20 bucks. I got the bracelet and the pains disappeared in just a few days. It also helped with typical back and neck issues I had.

I'll give the same advice he gave, nothing to lose by trying.

If you're seriously in pain, I'm assuming you'll try anything reasonable to deal with it.

I'm a returner to this sport after many years away. I have quickly gotten some taste of arthritis from all this in my fingers and knees. Sodium Naproxim, or however that is spelled, has been very good for me in dealing with pain. 

Both my business partner and I recently installed the Scotts Damper on our bikes, and arm pump and fatigue have been cut in half. 

I had some pains that made me wonder if I was getting carpal tunnel. Both arms, tingling sensation, numbness. It was either too much keyboard use, or golf. A friend recommended a copper bracelet under the caveat of it worked for him and others, if it doesn't work for you....you're out 20 bucks. I got the bracelet and the pains disappeared in just a few days. It also helped with typical back and neck issues I had.

I'll give the same advice he gave, nothing to lose by trying.

If you're seriously in pain, I'm assuming you'll try anything reasonable to deal with it.

I'm a returner to this sport after many years away. I have quickly gotten some taste of arthritis from all this in my fingers and knees. Sodium Naproxim, or however that is spelled, has been very good for me in dealing with pain.

Both my business partner and I recently installed the Scotts Damper on our bikes, and arm pump and fatigue have been cut in half.

I will def give that a try! Is it just simply a copper bracelet? I've heard of the magnetic ones helping too. I've read a few other posts of people recommending the Scott's damper, I will def be looking in to that. Any experience with the Flexx bars?

I will def give that a try! Is it just simply a copper bracelet? I've heard of the magnetic ones helping too. I've read a few other posts of people recommending the Scott's damper, I will def be looking in to that. Any experience with the Flexx bars?

You should be able to find a simple copper bracelet at a big golf store. The simple ones go for about $20. Then they get fancy, with magnets, etc, and some look really nice. I don't know about magnets, but the copper sure worked for me. It does leave a green residue on your skin, but other than that no drawbacks at all. The "miracle" of copper has been known/debated since Roman times. 

I have not tried the Flexx bars. At this point I'm so satisfied with the improved suspension on my bike, had my forks revalved and sprung, along with the Damper that I'm good for now.

I have the WP4cs forks, and before being worked, they were very unforgiving in the first 1/3 of the stroke.

Try either the Flexx bars or Scotts first, then make another move if needed. The stuff isn't cheap! Fortunately, the prices of used gear are very high if you ever want to sell technical stuff like that later.

Good luck!   

Right now I have pro taper woods high. They had the most angle at the store I purchased them from. I thought maybe increasing the angle would help but so far it hasn't. Any suggestions on other bars to try?

There is the up down angle and also the sweep angle. A change in either can make a large difference to wrist pain and arm pump. I don't know what you need, so you need to experiment. Bar height is not what I'm suggesting.

Personally I found that a flatter bend with less sweep helps me a lot. Practically eliminated arm pump. Turns out that all the advice I got about it being mental was BS - from friends who rarely or never had arm pump.

The bars I have now are the Tag "Stewart bend". They are flatter than most. Also quite low, so many people would need bar raisers with them.

The fact that you didn't have any issues with your YZ or your CBR tells me that it is strictly a position issue that is overloading your wrist.  When you are done riding and your wrist hurts, massage your forearms and see if there is some tenderness in your forearm muscles.  Please give this a shot and update me here on TT.  Good luck!

-Coach Robb

The fact that you didn't have any issues with your YZ or your CBR tells me that it is strictly a position issue that is overloading your wrist.  When you are done riding and your wrist hurts, massage your forearms and see if there is some tenderness in your forearm muscles.  Please give this a shot and update me here on TT.  Good luck!

-Coach Robb

Read that massage(muscle tripping) should be done from the wrist towards the shoulder, yes? Otherwise the deeper pressure in the opposite direction can damage vein one way "flappers". Is this true Coach?

Bryan,

You are absolutely correct!  You should always massage from the most distant and move towards the hear.  This applies to massaging of the legs as well.  Start at the ankles and move upwards.  

-Coach Robb