Switch to a 4 stroke or not?

I currently have a 2006 yz250. Bikes an animal I love it. But yesterday I was riding woods with my friends and I could barely make any hills because I only weigh 120. I rode my friends 2013 yz250f and it was so much smoother and didn't vibrate like my 250. I can easily get a trade for an 08, 09 yz250f, but will the engine feel similar? I don't have funds for a brand new bike. So 2 questions, are the 09 yz250fs comparable to the 2012-2013 ones? I know it's not going to be as good but if it performs almost as good then I'd love to have one. And other question should I stick with the smokers? I love the cheapness of them but I'm pretty mechanically inclined so I can do my valves and all that myself.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1453055712.225845.jpg

it seems like you wanna stay with a smoker. If you had the funds for a brand new bike just about anyone would say a yz250x but since you can't, have you considered a KTM 300 2t? more woods oriented Two stroke, awesome bike and awesome to climb hills with.

I love two strokes but it's not that I need a woods oriented bike I need an easier to ride bike. I'm 5'5 and 120 pounds my bike beats me up. I loved my 125 but I couldn't go back now.

You have a few options to consider. No matter if you do the maintenance yourself or not a rebuild on a 4 is still gonna cost more then on a 2. Re spring and revalve the yz for your weight for a plusher ride. you can also add a flywheel weight for smother power. You'll be able to lug the motor more easily without fear of stalling so easily. A 300 would climb hills a little better and they are set up plusher. You still may have to respring since you're so light. You're probably gonna have the same issue with the 4 as far as the suspension.

• Like 1

You have a few options to consider. No matter if you do the maintenance yourself or not a rebuild on a 4 is still gonna cost more then on a 2. Re spring and revalve the yz for your weight for a plusher ride. you can also add a flywheel weight for smother power. You'll be able to lug the motor more easily without fear of stalling so easily. A 300 would climb hills a little better and they are set up plusher. You still may have to respring since you're so light. You're probably gonna have the same issue with the 4 as far as the suspension.

I know I can mess with suspension, but when I rode my friends 2013 it was stock set up and it was a lot more smooth on the stroke and was springer. I feel like I could ride it a lot better on the trails. I'm still debating I was just amazed at how the power was. Like I just like the smoothness better. Maybe a 150xc or something. I just don't think I have enough experience on big bikes to be on a 250 when I should be on a 125 still

Or a 200. You maybe be better off on the 4 t. That's a personal preference. Don't forget the 4 t is more to maintain. More often more money. The 2 t can ultimately make you a better rider. Take a rider that's only rode 4 t and take a rider who's only ridden 2 t then have them switch bikes.The transition for the 2 t guy is gonna be much easier then 4 t guy. I'm a 2 t guy. I had a 4t for around two years and all i wanted was another 2 t. Its personal preference. To have both would be awesome. Although I'd probably want a 300 and a 125 2 t. I just have more fun on a 2 t. No bike is perfect you're gonna find something you don't like about whatever you end up getting. Setting it up for your ability and weight will go a long way though.

• Like 2

I have as 06 yz250 too. Stock it's a rude nasty bike. It can be detuned. I much prefer it detuned.

I had a 250f. Good bike but I sold it and still prefer a "mellowed out" 2t.

Pm me if your like infofor tuning your yz

. If you can ride the 4 stroke again do so. If it suits you swap

Forget maintenance, power, cost - unless you are racing, get what bike you have most fun on and really want to ride.

I spent a lot of time riding my mates 250f while I was fixing my bike. It was good up Hills and the power was smooth. I considered buying a 300-350 four stroke, but then I thought about how much more fun I have on a 250 smoker, so I ended up buying a yz250. The yz puts a big smile on my face everytime I go out and I can never wait until the next ride.

My suggestion is to see if your mate will let you ride his 250f some more, test ride a 200 xc and see what that feels like. If you still enjoy riding the yz the most, keep it and set it up for your weight.

Set up your YZ250 suspension for your weight and riding style (trails). Install a Rekluse auto clutch. Your bike will be completely transformed. I had a 03 04 and 07 YZ250. My 07 had the Rekluse and it would climb so much better/almost effortlessly than the ones without it. 

That said, a YZ250F is also a good bike. If you're not racing it it WILL last a very long time without rebuilding the motor or fretting about the valves. One major dislike on my 07 YZ250F was the FCR carburetor for hot starts. You can just about forget trying to re-start one when hot and you stall it. A rekluse would help that too. Having gone through both the 07 YZ250F and an 09 YZ450F I swore to never own another FCR carbed kick only bike for woods riding and so far have held to it. :D

My bikes now include a simple anvil easy to start KX250 smoker and an electric start EFI Husky four stroke. No problems starting these. ?

I have as 06 yz250 too. Stock it's a rude nasty bike. It can be detuned. I much prefer it detuned.

I had a 250f. Good bike but I sold it and still prefer a "mellowed out" 2t.

Pm me if your like infofor tuning your yz

. If you can ride the 4 stroke again do so. If it suits you swap

I have an fmf gnarly on right now, it lugs pretty good but if I'm trying to go up a hill on single track if I start spinning its game over. I love the bike on a track though. I just don't like it on the trails and I already have 3 guys with 250fs wanting to trade me as I type this. I don't wanna leave the 2 strokes but I can't keep laying it over on hills my 85 would have made

Sounds like you're not using the right technique. Keeping a finger or two on the clutch. in a poor traction situation pull the clutch in to were its partly engaged to control wheel spin. properly set up suspension and a fww will help with traction. I have an 11oz on my kx.it's not a drastic change but a very noticeable one. There are plenty of riders climbing nasty hills on there 2 strokes. A motocross bike isn't set up for the woods but a little suspension work smoth the power out a little and you have a nice trail machine. Sounds like you want an f though. They are easier in poor traction situations. I had an fcr equiped bike like the previous post. I also had trouble getting it to refire after a fall or flame out.Your yz csn be made to work better then it is now for sure.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Nice bike man!! Im one of the rare guys that prefer a 4t on TT, especially a 250f. Just find them more tractable and smoother. Report back how you gel with the bike after a few rides. Edited by NW_drZ
  • Like 1

Nice bike man!! Im one of the rare guys that prefer a 4t on TT, especially a 250f. Just find them more tractable and smoother. Report back how you gel with the bike after a few rides.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1455926610.359592.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1455926625.111272.jpg

Went for a ride today, snowy but I definitely feel more at home on a 4 stroke. Once the snow goes away I'll let you know but I'm liking the power. Reminds me of my 125 with a shit ton of bottom end lol

• Like 2