Sign in to follow this  

02 washing out in tight turns

I've just put brand new tires on tried adjusting clickers and have my sag set at 104mm, tried every body position I can think of and can not get the front end to stay planted. Any ideas?

I've just put brand new tires on tried adjusting clickers and have my sag set at 104mm, tried every body position I can think of and can not get the front end to stay planted. Any ideas?

I had a new '02 back in the day and I ran less sag to weight the front end and used what I felt the best tire was for my riding. MXA often recommends running your stem bearings a little tight as well to act as a stabilizer. Of course, you can adapt Honda's HPSD but you'd need an adapter and '08 triples in 24mm offset (Applied Racing).

BTW, this was the main complaint on the '02 back then.

I had a new '02 back in the day and I ran less sag to weight the front end and used what I felt the best tire was for my riding. MXA often recommends running your stem bearings a little tight as well to act as a stabilizer. Of course, you can adapt Honda's HPSD but you'd need an adapter and '08 triples in 24mm offset (Applied Racing).

BTW, this was the main complaint on the '02 back then.

What would you recommend running the sag at?

Try raising the forks in the triples too. Maybe 5mm and see if that helps. If not, try 10mm.

I've been researching it and MX Bonz sells a kit you can use to mount Honda's HPSD damper for $80.

Their site doesn't show one for the '02-'04 450 but you can use the CR250R one for those years. Looks pretty slick.

Ooops, forgot pic. I'm going to be adding this to mine.

Swapped the forks and clamps off of my 07 crf250r and gonna try it next weekend. The 250 has a bad motor and I didn't ride it as much.

Try raising the forks in the triples too. Maybe 5mm and see if that helps. If not, try 10mm.

I've been researching it and MX Bonz sells a kit you can use to mount Honda's HPSD damper for $80.

Their site doesn't show one for the '02-'04 450 but you can use the CR250R one for those years. Looks pretty slick.

I tried changing them yesterday from all the way down to 10 mm and it didn't help much. The best I could get it was the comp-3 clicks in rebound at 9 clicks in, and my body all the way up on the gas tank.

Ooops, forgot pic. I'm going to be adding this to mine.

Do you have anymore information on that kit?  I looked it up and their website is very vague, for instance, do you have to weld on a mount and where does the cdi move to?  If it seems like a logical setup I'm buying one.

try in

I tried changing them yesterday from all the way down to 10 mm and it didn't help much. The best I could get it was the comp-3 clicks in rebound at 9 clicks in, and my body all the way up on the gas 

Try increasing the rebound dampening a couple clicks at a time, it sounds like the fork rebound is to fast.  Also what psi is in your tire?

Do you have anymore information on that kit? I looked it up and their website is very vague, for instance, do you have to weld on a mount and where does the cdi move to? If it seems like a logical setup I'm buying one.

From what I gathered, you use your stock triples and drill/tap 7mm threads in to your bottom triple. You supply the damper and upper/lower bolts.

I didn't see the CDI move addresed so I guess I'll need to sort that out. Maybe move it up and drill the center of the bracket and frame then cut in some 6mm threads? Not sure if there would be room to do that or if wires are long enough though?

The HPSD blocks the bottom numberplate mount/post (02-07) but a Cycra Stadium plate takes care of that.

Looks like no welding needed. Maybe call them about the CDI issue.

Edited by HRC27

I also had an 02, and the fix was to change the clamps to a 22mm offset (I think they changed from the factory in like 05?) Also the bike rode all rear wheel, and the forks had the mid stroke harshness of the early 2000 cr's..  Less sag (95-98mm was better). Newer model forks had a tighter axle lug offset that tightened things up too, so I would try a set of 08 forks in it if you have a chance.

I also had an 02, and the fix was to change the clamps to a 22mm offset (I think they changed from the factory in like 05?) Also the bike rode all rear wheel, and the forks had the mid stroke harshness of the early 2000 cr's.. Less sag (95-98mm was better). Newer model forks had a tighter axle lug offset that tightened things up too, so I would try a set of 08 forks in it if you have a chance.

I've got a set of 07 forks and clamps on it now. Going to try it out next weekend.

Air pressure. What's your tire condition and psi? That is what makes the biggest difference for me.

Run the pressure between 9psi and 12psi normally. Depends on the condition of the track I'm on. And the tires are brand new just had them put on last week. I run b class mx I'm 5'11 200lbs have .49 fork springs and a 5.8 shock spring

I`m 190 , 49 and a 5.5 on the back. My be your shock is to stiff !! Has it been revalved , if not it needs it , when it was stock mine would do the same thing.

I`m 190 , 49 and a 5.5 on the back. My be your shock is to stiff !! Has it been revalved , if not it needs it , when it was stock mine would do the same thing.

Shocks and forks just got revalved and oil changed when I had the springs put in 3 months ago. That's the first thing I did when I got the bike because I noticed this problem right away. Kept making adjustments and finally put new tires on and now swapped the clamps and forks hoping that will help.