Sign in to follow this  

500 EXC Supermoto Build

Bought this 12 500 EXC on the East Coast before coming out to CA. Solid bike, very well maintained but ridden strictly as a dirt bike so it needed a little (a lot) of TLC to get where I had in mind.

I put the skid plate on while still out east for some trail riding and left everything as purchased.

Got it out to CA by putting it right on the moving truck, it was $500 additional and they wrapped the thing head to toe in blankets and plastic wrap. The bike arrived unharmed and a few months later I got started.

DSC_0386_zpsgrknonyp.jpg

First up was some basics, controls, a leaky ign cover and a new plug

IMG_20151103_181731_zpsifgd5pxd.jpg

Next was getting it street legal for CA inspection. This bike had 1 working signal so I sourced nicer looking LED units along with an OEM rear harness and some decent looking mirrors which I quickly found are nothing more than decoration🤣

DSC_0494_zps8ubrxy4f.jpg

Ordered the LED relay/flasher off fleabay and the Sicass LED wiring adapter (not using this makes both signals flash like an emergency light)

DSC_0604_zpszlnvibtg.jpg

The SM wheels arrived, Warp 9 17’in 4.25 rear non cush. Tires are Avon Distenza’s 120/70/17  and  150/70/17  running 26 lbs front and rear. Lots of trimming of the fork guards was needed, I put a rag behind the guards while I trimmed with a dremel. Rear chain guide also needed trimming, hacksaw made quick work of that. Fitting the wheels is definitely a bit more of a pain in the ass. For both front and rear I found taking the air out of the tires to help, only ended up with 1 scratch on the front wheel. 

DSC_0514_zpspbu5wrav.jpg

Went with the 320mm floating rotor upgrade, another nice feature is they they embed the speedo magnet into the rotor hat

DSC_0628_zps2jobsnjz.jpg

Decided on the 14' plastics kit (Acerbis and Polisport), fit is good, definitely some trimming needed. I also opted to use the OEM bolt closure system on the airbox. Graphics are N-Style. Front fender is the Acerbis universal SM, very easy to mount up. The headlight has been bolted to the fender as I found the rubber mounts too loose without the OEM mounting points.

IMG_20151104_144934_zpsftkwxbtj.jpg

DSC_0497_zpsttmi6whq.jpg

Starting to look like a real bike again even though there was a lot left to do in this picture...

DSC_0515_zpsy41xtjmx.jpg

Gearing: 15-42

Suspension Settings:

Front forks

rebound -  3rd click out 

compression - 5 clicks out 
 preload - 3 full turns in from full counter-clockwise

Rear shock:

rebound - 4 clicks out
compression - low speed 4 clicks out high speed 1 full turn out
sag - right around 100mm

Speedometer Correction:

You should first by calculate the wheel size. I simply put a dot of grease on the tire and measured one full revolution then converted to mm and I had a wheel size of 1835mm.

To program the computer unplug the 3 pin wire from the speedo, make sure the display is on hours and speed (if not on this setting it will only enter into the clock/date mode). Press the O button till the full menu comes up and cycle to WS. Use the + and – buttons to change the wheel size and O to confirm. The adjusted WS size will flash briefly when the ignition is first turned on.

Other misc upgraded include Seat Concepts seat, CV4 rad cap, KTM swing arm guards, Acerbis engine guard, Moose Air filter, Enduro Engineering grab bar.

As it sits now:

IMG_20151219_151720_zpsrrefqzrk.jpg

This bike is a blast on the streets, the tall gearing really mellowed the power out nicely. I feel like the bars aren't right, my XCF does have a 997 bend on it so I might look there. Getting a little bit of popping even with it being de-smogged, so I'm going to make some adjustments to the TPS and go from there. 

And yes there will be videos!

• Like 4

Very nice! Great job! I am going to convert mine this winter.

Thanks for sharing. Great pic's

Thanks for sharing your build, AP. I'm shopping for SM wheels right now. Care to mention your wheel source, good or bad? Nice that they took care of the speedo magnet. I'll probably spend a little more for the cush drive. Pretty sure cush isn't needed on an EXC but Warp does it for ~$200 upcharge. Would you change gearing from 15-42 or is that a good all around street/highway gearing?

EDIT: Is your stock kickstand OK for the shorter wheels? Looks to me like mine will suck if the bike is ~2" shorter.

Edited by Duzitall

Thanks,

Got the wheels from motoxindustries easy transaction

The kickstand was cut by about 2 inches, going to have the end machined out so I can use the oem foot pad

Gearing is good for all over. It's not a throttle wheelie maniac now which I like. If you want that kind of setup I'd go at least start with a 45t rear.

I opted not for the kush drive for a few reasons. First is that the KTM has rubber in the clutch already. Second the kush hub adds another wear item and 3rd is that I'm not that hard on chain and sprockets.

• Like 1

Small update after riding around for a while. Changed the oil and filter, screens looked perfect so I left them.

Upgraded the headlight to an LED unit which I came across from this thread...

https://thumpertalk.com/topic/1167806-found-2000-4000-lumen-led-bulb-does-it-fit-2014-ktm-500/

DSC_0876_zps2egyknsh.jpg

The bulb took a while to come in but looks decently constructed, many mention heat being a major issue with LED headlamps. The head sink on this one looks fairly chunky so hopefully it will be enough! The light output is way better then the stock bulb and has a color temp around 4-5K

I did find I had to bend the tab inside the housing a ever so slightly to keep a solid connection to the bulb. 

DSC_0877_zpsjqrxnuuz.jpg

This pic helps show the output 

DSC_0892_zps0u0kzfvn.jpg

This one does not...

DSC_0890_zpsdlg5wzhr.jpg

And lastly I re-did the header/mid with some fresh heat wrap. The "ti" color should help hide the dirt a bit better. I like this stuff for the SM setup, it does help keep the heat away from your street gear. 

20160127_165524_zpsokbcgoqb.jpg

Oh and here's the first vid! 

Edited by Arctic Pride

[quote name=

I opted not for the kush drive for a few reasons. First is that the KTM has rubber in the clutch already. Second the kush hub adds another wear item and 3rd is that I'm not that hard on chain and sprockets.

I honestly don't recall, I'm sure his prices are near where they were. I looked around the used market as well and the pre-owned stuff was not that far off new value.