Sign in to follow this  

How low does oil have to be to seize up

So the other day my buddy and I were riding along the highway trying to get to a new spot to ride it was only a mile or so and when he got up into 5th after about half a mile it locked up we just rebuilt the top end maybe 5 hours ago but now the bottom end is seized up he was about 5 oz low on oil is that enough to seize up the bottom end thanks and the bike is a yz125

That's about 150ml or almost a quarter of the 660ml recommended in a yz125. I would guess over any prolonged period, that is enough to cause damage, but why let it get low to begin with?

• Like 1

I mean the crank were not sure why it got low but he took a spill about 10 min before that and it could have put a pinhole in the case i guess

I mean the crank were not sure why it got low but he took a spill about 10 min before that and it could have put a pinhole in the case i guess

If its the crank that is seized how do you know its not the top end?  This isn't making much sense.

Low trans oil will not cause the crank to seize.

Massive crankcase air leak wold be very obvious by a racing idle.

More likely a lack of maintenance, abuse and improper jetting.

• Like 3

Low trans oil will not cause the crank to seize.

Massive crankcase air leak wold be very obvious by a racing idle.

More likely a lack of maintenance, abuse and improper jetting.

agree

The crank bearings are lubricated with the oil mixed into the gas.

yes, meaning you could completely drain (and not refill) all transmission oil without worry of a healthy crank seizing on you. 

But yes, it is possible to seize a transmission bearing if your gearbox oil is low. This happens more often than it should because people use the "oil check" screw to verify the proper amount of oil instead of measuring the correct amount when they add oil.

The Oil Check screw has been at the wrong height on YZs for years. Don't use it.

2 stroke transmissions are pretty bullet proof. Had a buddy forget to refill his and rode at least 10 miles of hard single track before realizing he had forgot. Made it back to the truck and filled back up and kept riding for the rest of the day. He tore into it later and saw his plates had not been warped. This was on a ktm 250xcw.

Edited by MT_Rider
  • Like 1