Sign in to follow this  

YZ250f -VS- SX125

Hey all 🙂

I have a 2002 yz250f and i know the seat height is pretty tall something like 39"? But anyway, I'm considering going back to a two stroke, a sx125 to be precise. I'm 6 foot 1 and I want to ensure I'll fit on a sx125 so does anyone have any idea how tall the sx125 is? Also, what do you guys think about downgrading in capacity? What's the speed difference?

Thanks 🙂

Its not a down grade at all. A 2 stroke 125 is comparable to a 4 stroke 250. Yamaha usually has slightly tall seat hights, but not by much. The sx is probably about 38"? If you mostly ride track, the 125 will put more of a grin on your face for sure, but the power isn't linear on a smoker, it's all high in the rev range and you spend most of your time wringing its neck.

Seat height on the current 125SX is almost 38".

Don't known what year SX (new or used) your are in the market for but

I'm guessing a brand new late model one will have a few more peak HP's than your older '02 250F.

It will also have a much narrower powerband, meaning you'll have to shift more often to keep it in the proper rpm range,

depending on your type of riding (MX tracks), it will also require you to concentrate more as the narrower powerband

doesn't forgive mistakes while cornering or offer a linear power output in low traction situations as much as a 4-stroke.

You'll quickly appreciate the lighter weight of a 125.

Also the ease of re-starting it if ever you take a tumble.

If you are used to Yamahas, have you considered a YZ125 ? (especially a 2006+ model)

Edited by mlatour

Thanks for the help. I was actually looking at a 2002 sx125. And yes starting it will seems so easy and it'll be used on tracks all the time (no woods or enduro). Anyone got thoughts on the 2002 sx125?

Thanks

In a different perspective, it's a 14 year old bike, only 2 years newer than your current 250F.

If your 250F is in decent mechanical condition and doesn't need major work done,

perhaps save up for a newer bike, with less wear and more up to date features.