Sign in to follow this  

Axle fit

I own what is turning into a frankenbike. I am attempting to put 2016 yz450x wheels on a 2006 yz250. The yz250 axle is smaller than the bearings on the yz450 wheel. If I buy a yz450x axle, will it fit in the clamps of the yz250 forks? I don't have the forks here with me because they are at Precision Concepts.

I would check parts lists to see if the axle nut is the same size for both bikes. You may get very lucky and find that the 2016 F axle fits in the YZ fork bosses, but it seems like a long shot.

IMO, swapping stock parts from a newer bike from the same manufacturer is a smart way to upgrade a trusty steed. I wouldn't consider that a frankenbike. 👍

Let us know what you find, and good luck!

Nope they switched to a larger diameter axle in 14 on the four strokes. Rear will not fit either as the yz250 has a 22mm axle and the 4 strokes got a 25mm in 09.

• Like 1

If you order a set of TUSK wheels they come with spacers/adapters to work with both sizes of axles. just a thought. It is what worked out for me doing the 09 swingarm swap.

• Like 1

If you order a set of TUSK wheels they come with spacers/adapters to work with both sizes of axles. just a thought. It is what worked out for me doing the 09 swingarm swap.

Thats damn good info.

Heres a link...might be able to call tusk up and order just the spacers/bearings

Heres a ridiculously long pdf link to said spacer info. Hope it works.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/docs/tusk%2520impact%2520wheel-Yam-Rear.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjHn-rRhrTKAhVC5SYKHWqPAZsQFghHMAs&usg=AFQjCNGsqWisYvtMPdp2R5fVxrtrELicfg&sig2=df0v50AjdxSf0Yy3eWMUTA

• Like 1