Sign in to follow this  

2001 DRZ400s Shift issues

Hi everyone, i found a 2001 drz400s with supermoto wheels on it for $1700. Th eonly problem is that he says it has shifting problems. He says the gear shift lever will not grab the gears in the box, but the lever is loose. Apparently, if you pull the shifter out a little bit it will shift. What could the potential causes of this problem be? I am decent at working on bikes but am really just looking for a cheap easy bike. Any help will be greatly appreciated! I am going to go look at it soon, just want to know if theres anything i should look for with that problem without having to take it apart. Thanks!

Probably just missing the retaining ring on the shift shaft.  Left side under the countershaft sprocket.  Easy fix.  If it feels right when engaged, all is good.  If it is still sloppy, there is a headed roller bushing that is roaming free in the primary.

The retaining ring - yes.  If the motorcycle falls on the left side hitting the shifter, it can displace the retaining ring.

The retaining ring - yes.  If the motorcycle falls on the left side hitting the shifter, it can displace the retaining ring.

AHH! Just looked out on my current one and found how it should be. I'll be checkin out this other one tomorrow afternoon. How much would you guys value an '01 drz-s with sm wheels at? Its got about 14k miles on the clock, but its set up to read the 21 inch wheel.