Sign in to follow this  

05 KTM 450exc bogging down and stalling after few minutes of riding

This is the third time that this has happened and I am not sure what to do to fix it.

The first time this happened I was riding home from my friends house and it started bogging really bad and stalling instantly when I pulled the clutch in.  I pulled the gas cap off the gas tank and the bike fired right up and I made it home with no problems.

Fast forward to 2 weeks later when I want to go riding again.  Couldn't even get the bike started.  Pulled the plug figuring I flooded it and wierdly enough the plug was all messed up.  Bought a new plug and the bike fired right up again. Idled fine.  I went for a ride and after about 5 minutes it started bogging really bad again and eventually stalled.  I tried pulling the gas cap off before it stalled but I did not help.  I could not get the bike started again and had to walk it home.

I pulled out the jets and cleaned them (even though I did it recently).  Bike has a JD jet kit.  I actually wound up breaking the main jet (the threads snapped right off when I was putting it back in with barely any force...).  The main jet was a 172.  I put in a 178 for now.  Bike fired right up yet again and seemed to idle fine.  Rode it around the block and it was running fine for a few minutes then the same thing happened again.  Bogged down and stalled and wouldn't fire back up.

I am not sure what it wrong.  I'm assuming it's getting starved for fuel, but am unsure of what to check out now.. Possibly take entire carb out and clean everything?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Edited by BAR7MAN

Your fuel is probably contaminated, and it separates when parked, mixes when ridden.

Hmmm, I did not think of that.  I will drain the tank and put new fuel in and see how that goes.  Thanks for the suggestion

• Like 1