Sign in to follow this  

Dual sport paradox

Why are no companies producing something light weight and off road capable 2 stroke in a dual sport, already road legal package?

In Canada are laws make it impossible to convert an off road bike to be road legal. Looking around online, I have found 1 2005 blue plated 300 xc-w and while it's a nice bike, it's 11 years old and needs some work. Looking around online there's mixed opinions weather or not one can be purchased new from ktm, but then your looking at a 12-14,000$ bike when a new dr-z 400 can be had for 7000$ without a bunch of aftermarket products just to say you "purchased it road legal".

Because the bike companies are a bunch of greedy somebitches. It probably has something to do something with insurance too. They don't want to be liable for accidents on the roads.

• Like 1

My 2015 300 2t beta -rr race is road legal in Canada . Yes it's more than a drz , but then it's a lot more bike

Edited by kaos
  • Like 2

My 2015 300 2t beta -rr race is road legal in Canada . Yes it's more than a drz , but then it's a lot more bike

I looked at the beta rr race, but it's out of budget. I'm really firm at staying under 10k on a great do all bike and can't find a low mileage used blue plated one locally.

Emissions. No more "legal" two strokes but they can be found.

Remember the tranny. Euro wins with 6 speeds.

I'd buy a lightly used bike in budget rather than sacrificing my needs for a new lesser bike.

Good luck

• Like 1

Emissions. No more "legal" two strokes but they can be found.

Remember the tranny. Euro wins with 6 speeds.

I'd buy a lightly used bike in budget rather than sacrificing my needs for a new lesser bike.

Good luck

I have realized I'm probably better buying a nice used dirt bike and a separate road bike. Another member has a Harley I kinda want anyway

I'm not against the idea of a plated dirt bike. I've had them and loved it. Many don't stick with it. It is as compromise.

Moat are happier trailering to their desination.

Harley? Not me. I prefer a more active ride.

I'm not against the idea of a plated dirt bike. I've had them and loved it. Many don't stick with it. It is as compromise.

Moat are happier trailering to their desination.

Harley? Not me. I prefer a more active ride.

I like dirt bikes and I like big heavy cruisers. If I can't have a road legal off road bike with the performance I want off road, I can get 2 used bikes that are exactly what I want in different areas.

I like dirt bikes and I like big heavy cruisers. If I can't have a road legal off road bike with the performance I want off road, I can get 2 used bikes that are exactly what I want in different areas.

Short of a $11,000 KTM 500EXC all other new dual sport bikes are riddled with compromise but barely any cheaper. Get a cheapo MX 250 smoker and a metric cruiser. Put the rest in the bank or buy some tires, gear, and air filters too. 

Short of a $11,000 KTM 500EXC all other new dual sport bikes are riddled with compromise but barely any cheaper. Get a cheapo MX 250 smoker and a metric cruiser. Put the rest in the bank or buy some tires, gear, and air filters too.

I still have everything but a bike. Since the cam seized in the head of my xr and I went through the finding parts for old bikes then deciding it wasn't worth spending more in parts than the bike costs, I'm finally caving and buying my first nice dirt bike in 10+ years.

• Like 1

Because the bike companies are a bunch of greedy somebitches. It probably has something to do something with insurance too. They don't want to be liable for accidents on the roads.

Complete and utter bullshit!  They would be happy to sell you any kind of bike they can make money on.  You need to look no further than your legislators and lawmakers as they are the ones who have effectively outlawed the ability to plate dirt bikes.

Funny... out here in Colorado you can plate a dirt bike.  Hmmm...wonder why?  Could it have something to do with the laws allowing it.  By god, i think that is true.

Stop blaming capitalism that is providing every last thing around you and start looking at who you are voting for and the laws they are enacting that is restricting your freedom.  You have it exactly backwards.

Complete and utter bullshit! They would be happy to sell you any kind of bike they can make money on. You need to look no further than your legislators and lawmakers as they are the ones who have effectively outlawed the ability to plate dirt bikes.

Funny... out here in Colorado you can plate a dirt bike. Hmmm...wonder why? Could it have something to do with the laws allowing it. By god, i think that is true.

Stop blaming capitalism that is providing every last thing around you and start looking at who you are voting for and the laws they are enacting that is restricting your freedom. You have it exactly backwards.

Don't start an argument with Cas here. He is relentless if you piss him off and I don't want my thread locked

Don't start an argument with Cas here. He is relentless if you piss him off and I don't want my thread locked

Im not, i am pointing out to you that your own government is why companies aren't producing these things.  Stop blaming companies you blame who you vote for that go on to pass laws that disallow you to do the things that you want.  Same goes for cas in NJ.

So your options as  you have laid out above are to buy the very expensive bikes that your govt does allow.  Bureaucracy costs everyone and it gets translated into the form of a very high priced bikes since very few manufacturers want to negotiate the maze of requirements.  Or translated to needing two different motorcycles.

Certainly not my intention to get your thread locked.  Merely pointing out what appears to be obvious to me.

Are you expecting some sort of magic answer here on the forums for a DS bike you havent considered?

• Like 2

Im not, i am pointing out to you that your own government is why companies aren't producing these things. Stop blaming companies you blame who you vote for that go on to pass laws that disallow you to do the things that you want. Same goes for cas in NJ.

So your options as you have laid out above are to buy the very expensive bikes that your govt does allow. Bureaucracy costs everyone and it gets translated into the form of a very high priced bikes since very few manufacturers want to negotiate the maze of requirements. Or translated to needing two different motorcycles.

Certainly not my intention to get your thread locked. Merely pointing out what appears to be obvious to me.

Are you expecting some sort of magic answer here on the forums for a DS bike you havent considered?

Yes, a lot of it is bureaucracy. Maybe I was hoping for some magical answer I hadn't thought of? I have never spent more than a couple grand on a bike before for any purpose in 25+ years riding and figured it was a reasonable assumption that I could set aside 10,000$ and be able to find a really nice do it all bike, but evidently, that wasn't the case. Ultimately, I would really like to see something like a late model kdx, but road legal in a 350 smoker.

• Like 1

Dual sports aren't that great IMO. My Te450 sucks on the road and is only so-so on the dirt. Part of the problem is that I'm not a 4 stroke guy, so even a new Ktm 500 leaves me unimpressed. If I could I'd plate my Beta, but that's not happening here. I just use the Husky for trails that are only connected by pavement and for short jaunts to the market.

• Like 2

Dual sports aren't that great IMO. My Te450 sucks on the road and is only so-so on the dirt. Part of the problem is that I'm not a 4 stroke guy, so even a new Ktm 500 leaves me unimpressed. If I could I'd plate my Beta, but that's not happening here. I just use the Husky for trails that are only connected by pavement and for short jaunts to the market.

+1