Sign in to follow this  

Flywheel issue?

So I am trying to get my 2004 crf 250r back into time after checking/ reshimming the valves. I make sure it is at TDC and then line up the 2nd tick, the right one, to the mark in the peep hole threads. I install the camshaft with its marks even to the head tighten it all up and then double check all timing marks camshaft, flywheel and the right side mark... Everything is perfect. Now I give it a half dozen slow kicks and watch to make sure the camshaft is rotating, it is. Line it up TDC on the right case mark and now my flywheel is lined up with the 1st mark, the one that would be the left of the 2.

Before I get balls deep in this machine I am looking for suggestions. I believe that the flywheel may be slipping due to a bad woodruff key. I have also heard that a bad timing chain could also cause this.

Any idea/ input?

Line up the flywheel to the 2nd hash mark, in the left side peep hole. Then your cam should be perfectly timed. Take pics and post if not.

So I am trying to get my 2004 crf 250r back into time after checking/ reshimming the valves. I make sure it is at TDC and then line up the 2nd tick, the right one, to the mark in the peep hole threads. I install the camshaft with its marks even to the head tighten it all up and then double check all timing marks camshaft, flywheel and the right side mark... Everything is perfect. Now I give it a half dozen slow kicks and watch to make sure the camshaft is rotating, it is. Line it up TDC on the right case mark and now my flywheel is lined up with the 1st mark, the one that would be the left of the 2.

Before I get balls deep in this machine I am looking for suggestions. I believe that the flywheel may be slipping due to a bad woodruff key. I have also heard that a bad timing chain could also cause this.

Any idea/ input?

Edited by Eddie8v

If it was running fine before and all you did was check the valves, then I don't see how your timing chain would be bad all of a sudden. IMO, the punch mark on the counter balance shaft is more difficult to line up than the flywheel marking because of the smaller radius. I would line up the 2nd marking on the flywheel again then check the marking on the right side and see if it lines up. If so, you're good to go.

Long story short, the timing is fine. To get it running I just put a tiny bit of fuel into the cylinder and she fired right up and runs like a champ. Still curious why on earth it would be so difficult to start though.