Sign in to follow this  

New Member / New to me 05 CRF250X

Hey everyone,

I've been lurking for a while and searching for a used X. Finally found the perfect bike. Picked up an 2005 with only 84 original miles. An older man bought as a leftover in 06 and had stored it in his basement ever since! I stole it from the poor guy for 2g!

Just did all new fluids, air filter clean, new battery and quick wash after a buzz around the yard. Hoping for a short New England winter so I can really test her out.

In the mean time... time to buy and bolt on some armour! Thanks in advance for all the advice on this forum.

Tim

1453075809114.jpg

1453075860969.jpg

• Like 1

In reality I dont know for sure but this guy was one of the most genuine people ive met.. The bike is also amazingly clean with none of the typical wear markings. Im happy with the deal I got either way.

Looks like minimal wearing on each case half and little to no marring on the frame where you typically see it. Also still has the stock plastic guards for the engine. Highly possible less than 100 miles or so with low hours. Only thing is, I don't know how much this transfers over from vehicles, but in trucks or cars with really low miles but high in years, like ones that are only driven once in a blue moon, seals tend to not be in that great of shape. Also condensation build up in the case in extreme circumstances. Anyways, hope it all goes well, looks like you got a cherry for it being an 05  👍 Have fun, get out and ride. Damn the snow lol

Unless the clutch cover is new it looks like a very low mileage bike.My clutch cover was showing wear after 30 mins ..Good luck with it try to do as much as you can b4 the snow melts .... set your sag etc have fun with it ..

Yep, looks great.  Very little wear on it.  Are you planning on re-jetting it?  I just started doing it to my '05.  Haven't tuned it yet.

OMG  you lucky dude!  I have had my 04 for years and toitally an brand loyal now to the 250x  ( former blue bike guy)

Add the aftermarket pipe, rejet the carb, and open up the airbox and you are golden!

Thanks guys. I'll certainly be re-jetting and doing the cheaper mods asap. The paycheck always controls! I've been riding red since my first bike, but this will be my first "high power 4stroke" so I'm pumped to see what she can do.

Looks like it has had a dual sport conversion performed. Mileage could be much greater than would appear if it was ridden exclusively on the street.

2nd thing to do is open the airbox, rejet, and probably drill out the inner spark arrester. Motion pro has a nice little carb jet screwdriver set--  http://www.motosport.com/motion-pro-keihin-carb-wrench

JD jetting has a very comprehensive jet kit with great instructions and cust service for $80.00 bucks or so. http://www.motosport.com/jd-jetting-jet-kit   

There are a few articles around wherein you get specific Honda/Keihin needle/jets for around $30.00, but if something doesn't work great you'll spend more time and money getting the perfect set up. 

Bark Busters would be the 3rd thing, along with a skid plate perhaps. I have a Flatland Racing one, but it may be overkill.

1st thing BTW is what Twigster suggested on setting sag. Thats cheep.

Oh yeah, in this down time you have while its snowy, check your valves. Easy to check, bit more difficult to adjust. Shim kit 90.00$ One or more are probably out of spec, CRF intake valves are notorious for having minimal longevity. Stay on your valve clearances. When you get new valves, get Kibblewhite stainless steel intakes. You barely have to think about them afterwards, and I didn't notice any difference in performance. I've loved my '05 CRF250x for 6.5 years and roundabout 250 hours.

Wish I had those carb jet tools this past weekend!  Would've made getting that pilot jet changed a whole lot easier.  

What shape is the air filter in? If it's deteriorated, then replace it with a new one and keep that sucker clean and oiled. Like at the least every other ride. Every ride if dusty conditions. It will help with valve longevity.

Edited by mossman77

Jd kit, carb tool kit, and a feeler gauge set all ordered! Cycra pro bends, skid plate, and a twin air spare filter will be ordered next paycheck!

Any suggestions on jetting? I ride tight wooded trails at about 0-400ft 40-80deg. Ill be reviewing the jettting forum and ramseys chart for sure. Probably going to keep the stock exhaust for now with drilling the baffle and ill open up the airbox a bit to let her breathe.

Another foot of snow coming this wkend! Grrr

I am at the same elevation and temps and per JD I went with the 42 pilot jet. Only one they sent me. Red needle in the 5th slot and the 158 main jet.

I have full stock exhaust. Not drilled yet

Opened top of airbox only.

Accelerator pump mod with thick o-ring

R&D fuel screw 1.75 out.

On the stand I could immediately tell a huge difference. Fired right up and cracking the throttle made it scream. Can't wait to ride it.

I am at the same elevation and temps and per JD I went with the 42 pilot jet. Only one they sent me. Red needle in the 5th slot and the 158 main jet.

I have full stock exhaust. Not drilled yet

Opened top of airbox only.

Accelerator pump mod with thick o-ring

R&D fuel screw 1.75 out.

On the stand I could immediately tell a huge difference. Fired right up and cracking the throttle made it scream. Can't wait to ride it.

Same exact setup I have on my '07. Starts and runs like a champ. I've heard opening up the exhaust doesn't have much benefit. I was going to drill mine, but couldn't get the baffle screws loosened so I just left it alone.

R&D Flex Jet fuel screw is a must have!

Edited by mossman77

Jd kit, carb tool kit, and a feeler gauge set all ordered! Cycra pro bends, skid plate, and a twin air spare filter will be ordered next paycheck!

Any suggestions on jetting? I ride tight wooded trails at about 0-400ft 40-80deg. Ill be reviewing the jettting forum and ramseys chart for sure. Probably going to keep the stock exhaust for now with drilling the baffle and ill open up the airbox a bit to let her breathe.

Another foot of snow coming this wkend! Grrr

400 feet is Sea Level.  JD will have the correct setup.

I ride tight low land trails and I only have partial CCC mods; the air box top is not cut out, only 1" ID holes added between baffles so I still have some water protection.  I've also used a R header and Yosh muffler, and I like stock better for tight trail riding. I also use a stock insert, plus a down turn tip for a little more noise reduction.

If you want to soften low speed throttle response for low traction situations you can unplug the TPS. I have a handle bar switch for the pink wire; and for technical trails I recommend leaving it connected.