Sign in to follow this  

Super m premix for gear oil..

Anyone ever heard of this? Using super m 2 stroke premix for gear oil. Replacing it after every other race day???

in a pinch, yes. For a regular gear oil, why? Much cheaper and better options.

• Like 1

Follow your manual and you won't have to worry about anything. I'd say only in case of emergency. Not sure how it would act with the clutch

• Like 1

this has happened before, some oil is better than no oil...even pre-mix. But, who really carries extra for that pinch? Certainly not optimal or preferred.

ya it'll work but at $8-9 per quart that's a high price for transmission lube. Use automatic transmission fluid. Rotella, Delo, or SuperTech motor oils instead. 

• Like 1

Yeah I would have to agree with all of the others in saying that if it was the only liquid available, then yes, but not if there is a choice. Beyond the obvious reason you can guess,

1. premix oil generally has less extreme pressure protection than a gear/transmission oil does so long term protection would be questionable.

2. Super M has 15% solvent, which I certainly would never want in any transmission I owned.

3. Super M uses 30% polybutene which in this application would be a viscosity builder and polybutene equals total shear down. So you are going to lose a lot of viscosity very fast.

Premix, and especially one built like Super M I would say is a no no unless it is your only option.

http://www.maximausa.com/msds/2stroke/Super%20M.pdf

Edited by MotoTribology
  • Like 1

Agreed. Picked up new 2014 kx85 and was surprised by the previous owners recommend fluid choices. Apparently he's run the super m and flush and change it after every other race... I'd never heard of this before..

Mark..this is a list of the fluids and maintenance I did for that 85.

Oil:.. just dropped yesterday.

I use 700ml of Maxima Super M 2 stroke premix

Replaced every other race.

Fuel mix:

Amsoil Dominator

32:1 with 98 octane fuel.

Air filter: I only used Twin Air and cleaned and replaced after every ride. VERY IMPORTANT.

These were his recommended fluids he used on this bike

Agreed. Picked up new 2014 kx85 and was surprised by the previous owners recommend fluid choices. Apparently he's run the super m and flush and change it after every other race... I'd never heard of this before..

What a moron.  Are you sure he was talking trans fluid?

ATF.  Just use ATF.  I don't know why people still spend money on anything else.  Dex/Merc is cheap and you can get it anywhere.  Works great.

• Like 2

80W the Maxima Super 2 Stroke. I never used synthetic, 2 bc of the price bc I replaced it often. Plus every few races I'd flush it real good with a cheaper gear oil, but drained it out and put our regular oil in. ¿

What color was the oil when you drained it the first time?