Sign in to follow this  

Ktm not running again

Hi guys I have a 2012 ktm 250 xcw I have a problem with it not starting and sudden turn off I was going down the road and clicked into a high gear and the bike just shut down took it to authorized ktm dealer they cleaned carb checked for spark and its started but got it home and did the same as I said before and now don't start seems a reacurring theme is when I shift into high gear it dies . Anyone had this problem ? Could my clutch be bad I know it needs a new one

If you are all ready in motion when shifting into high gears your clutch is not going to kill your bike. You could shift it without clutch lever movement and it should carry on without hiccup. I am not sure of xcw's but it may a have a neutral switch that could be malfinctioning. Once again I do not own or have not worked on one.

Hi guys I have a 2012 ktm 250 xcw I have a problem with it not starting and sudden turn off I was going down the road and clicked into a high gear and the bike just shut down took it to authorized ktm dealer they cleaned carb checked for spark and its started but got it home and did the same as I said before and now don't start seems a reacurring theme is when I shift into high gear it dies . Anyone had this problem ? Could my clutch be bad I know it needs a new one

it sounds heat related. When it dies check to see if it has spark.

Gas cap not venting properly ?

Fuel level set too low in the bowl, restriction in the fuel inlet circuit?

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 2

FYI there is no neutral switch.  Maybe on a Euro model but I have never seen on in the US..  Things I'd look at are compression, fuel vent,  carb vent,  exhaust (restriction), air cleaner too dirty or too much oil..  Clogged pilot jet. 

As someone else said, it sounds like the gas cap is't venting.  As you ride the bike, a vacuum is created in the tank which eventually shuts off the fuel flow......about the time you shift into 6th gear.  Next time it happens, undo the gas cap to relieve the vacuum and see if that fixes it.  There's probably some way to test if the cap is venting correctly, I'm just not aware of the procedure.

Start troubleshooting,

Is fuel getting to the combustion chamber ? (plug is wet after cranking attempts)

Do you get a strong spark when grounding the plug to the frame/engine?