Sign in to follow this  

Custom plastics?.

Does anyone know of a company that will make plastics for a bike in any color?.

Many companies will, but they have to have a specific number of them sold or paid up front for them to make them.

Oh, to bad a don't have a race team or something. Thanks for the help.

Keep hearing about all kinds of things printed using 3D printing technology. I guess it requires an original piece to copy but I really don't know about the technology. Maybe its something that you could look into.

Keep hearing about all kinds of things printed using 3D printing technology. I guess it requires an original piece to copy but I really don't know about the technology. Maybe its something that you could look into.

I'm a toy sculptor, model maker, protototyper and inventor for the toy industry. I use CAD, digital sculpting and rapid prototyping for my work in toys on a daily basis. I have 2 FDM 3D printers. They print parts in ABS plastic.

You could defiantly do it BUT won't really work for bike plastics if you plan on crashing. Not durable enough regardless of the rapid prototyping technology, material or rp machine. The parts would snap crackle and pop the 1st time the bike hit the dirt. There are many materials and different types of RP machines BUT for such a demanding part such as a bike plastics just not durable materials

And yes you either need to scan an original or build the models in CAD. Scanning option Is not as simple as it sounds a lot of work goes into getting a usable scan and cleaning it up to be print ready as most times scanned parts are not perfect.

• Like 1

I'm a toy sculptor, model maker, protototyper and inventor for the toy industry. I use CAD, digital sculpting and rapid prototyping for my work in toys on a daily basis. I have 2 FDM 3D printers. They print parts in ABS plastic.

You could defiantly do it BUT won't really work for bike plastics if you plan on crashing. Not durable enough regardless of the rapid prototyping technology, material or rp machine. The parts would snap crackle and pop the 1st time the bike hit the dirt. There are many materials and different types of RP machines BUT for such a demanding part such as a bike plastics just not durable materials

And yes you either need to scan an original or build the models in CAD. Scanning option Is not as simple as it sounds a lot of work goes into getting a usable scan and cleaning it up to be print ready as most times scanned parts are not perfect.

Thanks for the explanation from someone who has there hands on this technology. From what little I've read, they make it sound like it's got universal application and limitless possibilities...obviously some practical limitations though.

Thanks for the explanation from someone who has there hands on this technology. From what little I've read, they make it sound like it's got universal application and limitless possibilities...obviously some practical limitations though.

No problem.  The Hype you hear about RP is actually 100% true, BUT it all makes it sound like is a magical automatic process.  After you have the CAD model built or digital sculpture it is magic! click a few buttons and the parts will magically appear before you eyes. Getting the CAD is not the so magical part of it and that's the part of it they don't really reveal in a real world way. I spend weeks on CAD or digital sculpting and any given project.  BUT then when I go to print the parts it is truly magic, wake up the next day and all my parts are sitting there ready to be assembled into a functional prototype.  SO...  It it endless and limitless BUT, there are many limitations.  You can pretty much make any thing you can dream of and print it out using many different RP technologies, ALL of witch have pros and cons.  There are some pretty strong RP resins that many of the machines use BUT non are as impact resistant, strong and resilient as a motorcycle plastics set. As I said my machines print ABS and its very durable BUT a good impact will render it useless. 

• Like 1