Sign in to follow this  

Buying 2004 KTM 85

Hi everyone, I am going to be buying a 2004 KTM 85 sunday. The price is $1100. It looks really nice from the pictures. Seller says it runs great. Is this a good deal? Also I am 5' 8", 16 years old and 138 lbs. Will this bike fit me ok? I am coming from a TTR 125 small wheel. I don't race or run on the track. Just mess around in the woods and street. What do you think? Thanks

At 5'8" you are way too tall for a mini/85cc, and even mid-sized bikes like the KX100 or CRF150RB.

For trail/off-roading, there are MUCH better suited bikes than a pipey 85cc motocross race bike.

At 5'8" you are in big bike territory, for trailriding only maybe a move up to a TTR230 or CRF230F ?

If you are more performance minded, something like a WR250F could be of interest, maybe a KTM150XC if you like 2-strokes.

If street riding is part of the equasion, get a street legal (dual-sport ?) bike and avoid problems.

(legal problems for you, and problems for other local riders (complaints, trail closures, cop harrassement etc.)

Edited by mlatour

Thanks for the reply. My budget is like $1100. And yes I do like 2 strokes. What I meant by street is going in neighborhoods from trail to trail. I found a ktm 200 exc for sale for $1300 that I wanted but it sold before I could get it. Coming from a TTR 125 I have a feeling the 85 would be a lot better? Thanks

A decent kdx 200 or kdx 220 (2 stroke) can be had for that price but I'd say go with that or a Ktm 200 because an 85 will be small for you. If possible save up some more money while looking for a decent bike and don't rush it. I'm coming off a ttr 125 and my next bike (when I find it, I have the money saved up already) will be a Ktm 200. Don't feel the need to buy right away either, it's winter anyways (unless you are located more south than me) and you probably won't have studded tires to ride in the winter based on your 1100 budget.

Good luck with whatever bike you may find!

Ok thanks. I just found a ktm 125 sx for $1200 near me. Im thinking that could be the one. Also, I have more than $1100, I just don't want to spend much more than that on a bike because I mostly ride my rzr. Its funny that you brought up studded tires, I actually do have some but they fit my TTR 125. Anyways, what do you think of the 125 sx? Thanks

Ok thanks. I just found a ktm 125 sx for $1200 near me. Im thinking that could be the one. Also, I have more than $1100, I just don't want to spend much more than that on a bike because I mostly ride my rzr. Its funny that you brought up studded tires, I actually do have some but they fit my TTR 125. Anyways, what do you think of the 125 sx? Thanks

The 125 sx is a motocross model but it will fit you fine, have good power, and you'll have fun on it. Later down the line you can add accessories to make it more woods friendly but for general riding purposes and not racing or anything it should be a good bike. Make sure the bike is in good condition and such. Like I said before don't rush to buy a bike if it's not the one.